Online LHBS selling grains by partial pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I see that AHS sells grain in quantities smaller than a pound. Are there any others that do? I don't see if as an option on any other site. Maybe they do but you have to call in an order. I'm not sure, and looking for a little direction.

I am moving away from pre-built kits, and so far have had to drive to the LHBS in order to get my grains when I want to go off a recipe I found online. That isn't always easy to do, due to scheduling and distance.

What do you guys and gals do when it comes to ordering from online stores and you want to put together a recipe? Keep in mind buying in bulk isn't an option since I don't have a mill (yet).

BTW, not against AHS in any way, but like to comparison shop, and have choices.

I shop for all ingredients at Morebeer, they have the lowest ingredient prices that I have found. Hops for $2 an ounce... anyway, I buy grain in full pound ammounts, crushed, in separate bags so that I can measure the correct ammount. I still get it cheaper than buying in partial pound increments at places like AHS. This being said, I also buy (2) brews worth of ingredients at a time to take advantage of B3's free shipping. I consistently get a 20-30% savings over AHS, NB or Midwest by doing this.

Grape and Granary sells by the 1lbs, 10lbs, or by the ounce. (just scroll down when ordering and you can put 1x1 ounce or 2x1 ounce or 8x1ounce etc; )They are in Ohio so that's pretty local for you being in PA, I think its best to buy from places that don't have to ship very far perishable things like hops and grain and for me in VA G&G are the closest and they crush well and have decent hops selection.
http://www.grapeandgranary.com/

Not what you are asking, but: buy a scale. I picked up one for <$20, and it's digital. Then you can buy by the several pound bag (already crushed) and weigh out your grain. I like the 10# bags from Midwest. I don't have a mill yet either.

Not what you are asking, but: buy a scale. I picked up one for <$20, and it's digital. Then you can buy by the several pound bag (already crushed) and weigh out your grain. I like the 10# bags from Midwest. I don't have a mill yet either.

not the best idea, but it would be ok for speciality malts as long as you're not depending on them for a large portion of your sugars.

Latest posts

Back