reached clarity nirvana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
Something interesting happened to me the other day. I put a bottle of Saison I brewed into the freezer to crash cool it super fast so that I could drink it an hour later. Instead I forgot about it due to being busy and not setting a timer and woke up the next morning getting ready for work and found the bottle in the freezer. I assumed the worst and thought it would have exploded. It didn't. The cap let some of the pressure out and found some frozen beer on the outside of the bottle. I was surprised and put it into the fridge to dethaw it. I then went to work. I got home late at night after working 16 hrs and found an amazingly clear bottle sitting in the fridge. Everything settled to the bottom. I mean everything. I have never produced such a clear bottle of beer before. So I thought what the hell and I tried it to see if it still held any carbonation. The beer was amazing. The sad part is that I don't think I can replicate this even if I tried but it was the clearest beer that I have brewed so far which surprised me due to the wheat used to brew it. I was so impressed that I thought I would share. This picture doesn't do it justice.

21bved5.jpg

So freeze the whole fermenter for a few days and let us know OK??

That might be a little much. But I find it very interesting that it was still carbed .

Same here. I was surprised by that as well. The reason the clarity was a shocker is because the other Saisons that I regularly have been cooling 3-4 days in the fridge are not even close to being that clear. Very hazy and cloudy looking which I find normal for a Saison. I'm assuming that freezing caused everything to bind together and fall out of suspension. Not just the yeast but most of what was floating around in there.

beerloaf

Latest posts

Back