counter pressure bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
Im borrowed a counter pressure bottle filler from a friend for my next batch and I have never used one. does anyone have a good reference for using it? what is the best way to clean it, it looks like there is some funk in there,

Best way to use it is to...not use it.;) Do this instead. Much simpler and works better imo. I disassembled my CPBF a while back and used it as parts for a CO2 manifold.

I have looked at that thread before and I tried it once and I think the hose I was using was too short or something. Now that I have the counter pressure filler Im interested in using it. Im thinking about using it with out hooking up the gas in, just keep the gas in side closed and start the beer flow then "burping" with the release on the side. any thoughts?

If that CPBF is as funky as you say I wouldn't use it...esp since the BMBF is an option. Another thing...are the tees and valves on that CPBF brass? Allegedly the brass can cause some off-flavor to develop after bottling.

There's no guarantee you're gonna get better bottles from the CPBF. I really think it's a 'process' thing and not an 'equipment' thing.

I hardly even use the stopper when I use the BMBF and I've bottled 2.6-2.7 volume brews no problem. What I do is to dial the pressure down to almost nothing and completely vent the keg (the reg will start flowing again only when you've pretty much completely vented the keg)...just enough to get a slow flow from the picnic tap (this pressure will vary depending on your line length). Doing it that way I start the bottle using the stopper but then just release the stopper and prop it up on the lip of the bottle. When I've filled a high-CO2-volume brew it gushes just a tiny bit after I pull the cane out (after the tiny bit of gushing settles there is maybe 1/4" from the liquid level to the lip of the bottle).

Also, I use a bottling wand (outlet tip cut at an angle...no bottling valve) instead of a racking cane. Seems like it's easier to handle.

And try to get the capping part down where you cap on foam but there is no gushing in order to do it. Once you get it down it will be so easy to bottle from a keg with minimal equipment to sanitize and clean up.

Latest posts

Back