My first Recipe...Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troythebrewer

Reaction score
Ok this is going to be my first brew recipe tell me what you guys think, what you may change or what you like.

Redhead’s Fury Ale

Ingredients

Malts
2 lbs light DME
.5lbs Amber DME
3.3lbs Amber LME

Hops
1oz Columbus (60 min)
1oz Tettnang (20 min)
.5 oz Amarillo (10min)

Flavoring
1 oz. bitter Orange peel (10min)

Yeast
Dry Ale yeast

Add 2lbs light DME and .5lbs Amber DME to 3gals room temperature water. Be sure all clumps are stirred in before putting on heat. Once all clumps are stirred in bring to a rolling boil, add 1 oz. Columbus Hops (pellets) stir occasionally Add hops slowly to prevent boilovers.

After 40 minutes in boil add 1 oz. Tettnang hops (I used loose hops) add slowly to wort. I am using a dry ale yeast with 20 minutes remaining boil 2 cups water, let cool once it start to boil this will be for yeast activation. Let it cool to at least 75-80 degrees. Pour into a ziplock baggy add yeast packet seal all but last inch of zipper. Squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing bag. Then mix yeast with fingers to for a uniform liquid no clumps.

Ok final 10 minutes remove wort from boil add in 3.3lbs Amber LME return to boil. Once rolling boil returns add .5oz Amarillo hops and 1oz bitter orange peel.

Now remove wort from heat and cool as fast as possible I use an ice bath works good. Fill your fermenter with 2.5 gallons tap water. Pour wort into fermenter and back into brewpot a few times to aerate wort. Filter out brewpot on last pour back into the fermenter.

Primary Fermentation 2-4 weeks or 2 weeks Primary 2 weeks Secondary Bottle condition 2 weeks same location as fermentation.

Don't forget to take your OG reading but other than that I don't really see a reason to change anything especially since you haven't made it before. I say make it and see how it turns out. Could be the best you ever had or you might want to change things for the next time. That's the fun of home brewing.

Back