Dead guy clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
I decided to make Yoopers Dead Guy clone:

1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Steep grains in a bag at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Sparge with 1/2 gallon 170 degree water. Allow grains to drip into pot, but don't squeeze. Discard grains. Bring to a boil and add:

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)

1 oz perle 60 mins
1/4 oz perle 30 minutes
1/4 oz perle 5 mins
1/4 oz saaz 5 mins.

However, I wanted to make it partial mash. So with some help from the LHBS, this is what I came up with:

1/2 lb crystal 49-64L
2 lb light munich
2 lb dark munich
1 lb caramunich
6 lb Light DME

60 min 0.6 oz perle plug
30 min 0.2 oz perle plug
5 min 0.2 oz perle plug
6 min 0.25 Halletau pellet

When I got home, I plugged this into BeerCalculus and got an estimated 1.082 instead of 1.066 suggested by Yooper's recipe. This sounds like its way too high on the fermentables. If I cut back to 4 lbs of DME, should everything be in balance? Any other suggestions? The LHBS is closed tomorrow and I was hoping to brew tomorrow.

Thanks!

The recipe already is a partial mash (the munich malt must be mashed) that's why the instructions specifically say to use 155 degree water.

Anyway, you can certainly change the recipe if you want. It's already pretty malty-sweet. 4 pounds of munich is a bit much. I'd lose 1/2 the munich. Munich can be a bit, well, strong and malty. You can use your recipe, of course, and use less DME. I like the original, though.

Well thats true it already was a partial mash. I just meant I wanted to have more grain in it to replace the LME. Seperating the Munich will be a problem as its already ground and mixed together in the grain bag.

I should just follow recipes verbatim until I learn more!

Should I use 4 lbs of DME?

Back