Hops recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinfiddler

Reaction score
I plan on brewing Ed Wort's Haus Pale (10g brew)

The hops I have on hand: Northern Brewer (pellets) Sterling, NZ Hallertauer, Liberty and Chrystal. In my searches none of these come recommended as subs.

Experience with these hops that might make for a good substitute? I really like the cascade but cringe at shelling out the 4.50/oz. :mad:

JW

Really, none of the varieties you mentioned have any similar properties to Cascades. Good subs are Centennial, Columbus or even Amarillo if you can find any of them.

That's a tough one. You basically have a bunch of Hallertauer type hops there, except for the Northern Brewer and Sterling (Sterling is a Saaz hybrid with Mt. Hood character, which is a Hallertauer hybrid, and I've seen Northern Brewer described as similar to Hallertauer, but with higher alpha). You could definitely brew some German brews with what you've got. I guess you either need to get your hands on some Cascade hops (or something similar like Amarillo) or get an opinion from EdWort himself, which is your best bet.

Back