Velvet Hammer Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gentlemans_Ale

Reaction score
Peticolas Velvet Hammer Clone
Imperial Red Ale

All-grain 5.5 gallons

OG: 1.093

FG: 1.021

IBUs: 84

SRM: 18.7

ABV: 9.5%

14 lbs Golden Promise Pale Malt

2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 60L

1 lb Carared

1 lb Munich Malt

4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 120L

2 oz Roasted Barley

1 oz Columbus 60 minutes

0.66 oz Simcoe 60 minutes

0.50 oz Simcoe 30 minutes

1 oz Centennial 15 minutes

1 oz Amarillo Whirlpool

Dry Hop with 1 oz Amarillo

American Ale yeast (Wyeast #1056)

Mast at 152F.

I think I went a little heavy on the grain bill...turned out at 10.5% ABV which overpowered. I'd also cut out the roasted barley which made it much darker than the original. Otherwise, pretty close!

It also appears he uses a bit of brown sugar and Centennial and Simcoe exclusively. Also 1056 IMO doesn't tend to complement malt profiles well as its highly attenuating. So I suspect he may be using a British ale yeast to give that residual sweetness and leave those brown sugar notes behind.

It also appears he uses a bit of brown sugar and Centennial and Simcoe exclusively. Also 1056 IMO doesn't tend to complement malt profiles well as its highly attenuating. So I suspect he may be using a British ale yeast to give that residual sweetness and leave those brown sugar notes behind.

Thanks, you may be right. I'd like to try it with these changes.

So I've read what Colbizle said about Centennial and Simcoe only, but also read that Mike Peticolas has said they use four hop varieties...any body have new info or a tuned in grain bill? Wanting to try this for my first all grain batch

In regards to the yeast, I toured the brewery last week and spoke with one of their brewers. They use Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale for all their beers (excluding Golden Opportunity IIRC). On top of that, they reuse yeast for 12 generations.

So I've read what Colbizle said about Centennial and Simcoe only, but also read that Mike Peticolas has said they use four hop varieties...any body have new info or a tuned in grain bill? Wanting to try this for my first all grain batch

I read an article where they interviewed Mike and that is what he said. I can't find the damn article but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he purposely didn't give all the information and/or the recipe has changed since then. Brewers can and will change their recipes from time to time.

My wife and I have only get to Dallas a few times a year, so our memories might be fooling us or maybe it is because we hit different places every time we visit- but we feel like Velvet Hammer's hop character is a little different every time we come to town. The beer is always amazing, but never quite the way we remember the last batch being.

This is my wire's bosses favorite beer ever, and he did say it's different almost every time he's had it.

About 1.5 years ago, I was at a brew pub on Peticolas night, and Mike sat with us and talked a little about Velvet Hammer. He was hammered that night, but remember him saying they were still playing with the recipe and had tweaked it a couple times. He also said they use some brown sugar to dry it out a little, and use an English strain. He wouldn't confirm it was WLP-007, said yeah that's pretty much what you'd use at home.

I'm giving this a shot in the next few weeks i think. Will post progress when i do.

Think i'm going to use my modified recipe:

10 LB Golden Promise
2 Lb Crystal 60
2 LB Munich Light
4 oz Crystal 120
5 LB Light Extract(Alc. Boost)
1 LB Brown Sugar(Flame Out)

Hops
1 oz Columbus-60 min
1 oz simcoe- 30 min
1 oz Columbus flameout
1 oz simcoe flameout
1 oz Amarillo flameout

2 Packs London Ale 1028

I'm giving this a shot in the next few weeks i think. Will post progress when i do.

10 LB Golden Promise
2 Lb Crystal 60
2 LB Munich Light
4 oz Crystal 120

Hops
1 oz Columbus-60 min
1 oz simcoe- 30 min
1 oz Columbus flameout
1 oz simcoe flameout
1 oz Amarillo flameout

2 Packs London Ale 1028

Looks tasty! I think we're getting somewhere guys! Looking forward to an update.

10 LB Golden Promise
2 Lb Crystal 60
2 LB Munich Light
4 oz Crystal 120

Hops
1 oz Columbus-60 min
1 oz simcoe- 30 min
1 oz Columbus flameout
1 oz simcoe flameout
1 oz Amarillo flameout

2 Packs London Ale 1028

So how did this turn out?

So I went to Peticolas today. Talked to one of the brewers and got some info. Only Bravo is used for the bittering addition in all their beers. Other hops in Velvet Hammer are centennial, Columbus, and chinook. All hop schedules are 90-30-flame out. No dry hopping. No brown sugar.

So how did this turn out?

I haven't done it yet! i've been slacking on my brewing :( but it is coming up. I think i will brew it in July but with the added information from the post above......

So I went to Peticolas today. Talked to one of the brewers and got some info. Only Bravo is used for the bittering addition in all their beers. Other hops in Velvet Hammer are centennial, Columbus, and chinook. All hop schedules are 90-30-flame out. No dry hopping. No brown sugar.

Hmmm so maybe Columbus @ 90, Centennial at 30 and Chinook @ Flame out.

it's interesting because chinook is supposed to be spicy and earthy, and when i drink velevet hammers they don't have a super fruity aroma, so i'm wondering where you'd use the Centennial

I'll trade anyone some three floyds bottles for a bottle or a growler of velvet hammer. PM me.

4 LB Golden Promise
1 Lb Crystal 60
2 LB Munich Light
4 oz Crystal 120
8 LB Light Extract(Alc. Boost)

Hops

Boil
1 oz Bravo -60 min=37 ibu
1 oz Chinook-30 min= 23 IBU
1 oz Centennial- 15 min= 11 IBU
1 oz Columbus- 15 min= 15 IBU

Flame Out
1 oz Centennial/Chinook

Dry Hop(5 Days before Bottling)
2 oz Columbus

Yeast
2 Packs London Ale 1028

Predictions:
OG: 1.096----FG 1.024= 9.4%
19L/86 IBU

Carared makes sense. I'll probably just replace the brown sugar with 8oz of Carared

I brewed this a few weeks ago, after HOURS of research trying to figure out what is used. Peticolas' Youtube and Twitter were a big help :)

I knew there was a Weyerman, but couldn't figure out if it was Carared or Caraamber, so I went with Caraamber. I guess now we know...

Anyway, here's what I did:

5.5 Gallon (7.13g pre-boil)

11.5 lb. Pale Ale Malt (Briess)
2.5 lbs. CaraAmber
1.5 lbs. CaraMalt
5 oz. Extra Dark Crystal (Simpsons; 160L)
1 LB Light Brown Sugar(5 mins)

Mash @ 149

Hops

Boil
1 oz Bravo -60 min=48.3 IBU

.41 oz Chinook-30 min= 12.8 IBU
.41 oz Centennial-30 min= 9.8 IBU
.35 oz Columbus-30 min= 14.3 IBU

1 oz Centennial- Flameout
1 oz Columbus- Flameout
1 oz Chinook- Flameout

Yeast
Appropriate sized starter WY 1098 - British Ale

OG: 1.078----FG 1.011= 8.9%
5.5Gallon/85.2 IBU

2015-07-14.jpg

I brewed this a few weeks ago, after HOURS of research trying to figure out what is used. Peticolas' Youtube and Twitter were a big help :)

I knew there was a Weyerman, but couldn't figure out if it was Carared or Caraamber, so I went with Caraamber. I guess now we know...

2.5 lbs. CaraAmber
1.5 lbs. CaraMalt

Mash @ 149

Hops

Boil

1 oz Columbus- Flameout
1 oz Chinook- Flameout

Yeast

5.5Gallon/85.2 IBU

Ok, how's it taste? Close? Not close?

Tastes great!

As for how close it is, it's hard to tell because I've yet to get a growler of it for a side-by-side comparison.

But...If I were given this and told it was Velvet Hammer, I wouldn't doubt it for a second. The keg is going fast, so I should probably get to the comparison sooner rather than later. I'll report back if/when I do.

Ok, got my hands on a glass of Velvet Hammer tonight, and I'd be hard pressed to find a difference, other than my slightly lighter color. Next time I'll be using CaraRed instead of CaraAmber, and will bump up the Extra Dark Crystal to get slightly above 18 SRM. It wasn't a side-by-side comparison, but again, if I were handed a glass of this and told it was Velvet Hammer, I would be none the wiser. This will be definitely be brewed again.

Regarding the exclusion of brown sugar... I'd be shocked if that were 100% true. Maybe they previously used brown sugar, and have recently found a cheaper alternative? They HAVE to be using some sort of adjunct to dry this out, IMO, as I have good reason to believe this should end around 1.010.

It’s nice to see interest in ’Velvet Hammer’. As far as I know, it’s only packaged in kegs distributed near Dallas. Most of the love around Dallas for a big beer seems to be reserved for Lakewood’s ‘Temptress’, a milk stout, too sweet for me.

Peticolas Velvet Hammer is billed as an Imperial Red Ale, 9% Alcohol by volume / 85 IBUs.

They had a couple other versions of it for Untapped in Fort Worth this spring. One was bourbon barrel, If I remember correctly, coming in at about 10 % ABV.

The third variation, well named as ‘Sledgehammer’, is “Velvet Hammer on steroids,” according to the brewery’s website. It’s a triple imperial red beer, with over 100 IBUs, and it’s 11.5% ABV.

My point is that with something this big, a lot of variation is possible. It works for Michael.

I hate hate hate IPAs. But you will never see me turn
down a glass of velvet hammer. I'm gonna have to try this recipe.

I brewed this a few weeks ago, after HOURS of research trying to figure out what is used
2.5 lbs. CaraAmber
1.5 lbs. CaraMalt

Do they not use Rahr for base malt? That's one thing I seem to remember from the brewery tour was a grain room full of rahr 2-row.

It’s nice to see interest in ’Velvet Hammer’. As far as I know, it’s only packaged in kegs distributed near Dallas.
That's right, they actually don't bottle any of there brews. Michael says it's because they want to maintain the best quality control over the end product as possible and bottles/cans going out on 3rd party distribution trucks or sitting in the back of store shelves is counter productive to that end.

The third variation, well named as ‘Sledgehammer’, is “Velvet Hammer on steroids,” according to the brewery’s website. It’s a triple imperial red beer, with over 100 IBUs, and it’s 11.5% ABV.

When they first brewed sledgehammer they posted on facebook that it's just the first runnings of a velvet hammer mash.

Do they not use Rahr for base malt? That's one thing I seem to remember from the brewery tour was a grain room full of rahr 2-row.

Yes, as far as I can tell, they use Rahr for the base malt. I couldn't get my hands on any, so I went with Briess to keep it American.

2.5 lbs. CaraAmber
1.5 lbs. CaraMalt

Mash @ 149

Hops

Boil

1 oz Columbus- Flameout
1 oz Chinook- Flameout

Yeast

5.5Gallon/85.2 IBU

What SRM did you target for this?

I targeted 17.5, but will try to go a little darker next time.

Honestly it looks like you just missed. The beer pours almost like a deep dark purple. Yours looked really close. I'd say upping the Carared and Dark Candy could help. What about a 1/4lb of roasted barley?

Your beer looks great BTW. Can't wait to try it

Honestly it looks like you just missed. The beer pours almost like a deep dark purple. Yours looked really close. I'd say upping the Carared and Dark Candy could help. What about a 1/4lb of roasted barley?

Your beer looks great BTW. Can't wait to try it

I love 17-18 SRM range with just the right amount of english roasted barely (550L-600L) to get it there.. While the beer in the picture is not a velvet hammer clone, it was a imperial red ale (or red ipa) that I made with the intentions of getting a beautiful mahogany red. Still one of my favorite recipes I've ever came up with.

10460505_774735921568_4883977834886680865_n.jpg

Interesting posts. I played with the recipe and used some different hops to go with a slightly more sweet and floral not but ended up tasting too sweet even though it ended at 1.014. Will go back to original recipe of known hops as those are more my style anyway.

FYI - from Peticolas' facebook today

Peticolas Brewing Company

Lets just say hypothetically that we brewed the second ever batch of SLEDGE HAMMER last month.
And on top of that, we hypothetically used the mid to last runnings of wort to brew a "lighter" Velvet Hammer called PICK HAMMER.
And in this hypothetical world, we planned to have a Hammer Fest two weeks from today with our new Pick Hammer, 2014 Sledge Hammer, 2015 Sledge Hammer, 2016 Velvet Hammer, and the one and only aged Velvet Hammer in our possession, would anyone be interested in joining us at a ticketed event?
Source

Is it innapropriate that I post this here? If so someone let me know.

Latest posts

Back