Gravity from 1.065 - 1.026 in 48 hours!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
I brewed 5 gallons of AHS Nut Brown Ale on sunday, and yesterday [24 hours] the fermentation was so strong it looked like the airlock would fly off like a bullet. Today, I noticed that fermentation slowed to a crawl so i took a gravity measurement for the hell of it. 1.026! :ban:

I stirred the contents of the fermenter to take todays reading, and for the hell of it i tried some of the beer from the test sample. EWWWW. It was as bitter as anything i've had. I think by stirring the sample, i pulled up all the pelleted hoplets from the side walls and some sediment. I hope that stuff settles again because that was definitely a rude awakening. :cross:

As a note, i put in the extra 1% alcohol boost that AHS sells along with a vial of Brewvint Yeast Fuel. I guess that's what did it.

There is my baby right there. Sweet. This is just hours after i put it in the primary.

DSCN1033.jpg

I just did the same kit and mine had a huge drop as well. I used a blowoff tube and in 3.5 days it went from 1.044 to 1.006 and it also tasted just like alochol!

Just saying!

Windsor shouldn't be dropping to 1006 from 1044 you use a good malt. At 1006 is will be a little Watery and will not balance with the Alcohol kick. 1010-1012 give a nice body with good mouth feel and a nice malt balance. 1006 is in the same area as fizzy yellow BMC swill.

I'm hoping to bring this beer down to 1.012. My last batch was my first, so i think i got a stuck fermentation and didn't know how to fix it. If i get this from 1.065 down to 1.012, that's 6.9% alcohol! Wow. :mug:

On Austin Homebrew, they said that the attenuation of Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast is medium, which may have trouble fermenting out SG's higher than 1.06. Is that true?

Back