Easy way to tell how much is left in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danotts

Reaction score
I was doing some maintenance on my kegerator today, and observed something that I wanted to pass along (it's free). If you've ever wondered how much beer was left in a keg, but you didn't want to open the lid (depressurize and/or contaminate), and you don't want to have to weigh the keg empty and full and do a bunch of math... just take it out of the kegerator and let it sit out for a few minutes. The condensation will form only around the part of the keg that is in contact with the beer. This will give you a good visual gauge of how much is left (i.e. 3/4, 1/2, etc.)

Obviously, I'm in Florida where we have some humidity in the air. I suppose if you live in a dry climate, this won't work for you. Sorry!

Hope this is useful to some of you.:mug:

Related, this is my method for propane tanks:

Hot tap water into a mister bottle, spray onto vessel, wait a few seconds, slide your finger down until you feel where the water goes from warm to cold. Again, the liquid in the vessel draws the heat faster.

Probably wouldn't work as well on a refrigerated keg.

just take it out of the kegerator and let it sit out for a few minutes. The condensation will form only around the part of the keg that is in contact with the beer. This will give you a good visual gauge of how much is left (i.e. 3/4, 1/2, etc.)

thats how ive been doin it all along... i just leave the keggerator door open for 2 minutes. Then again i've got a pretty good feel gauge based on weight too...

at least with bottles I can see the end ... maybe a logsheet to count the beers tapped ... maybe too much work.

Back