Tweaking my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scra99tch

Reaction score
So far I have been following my local brew store recipies. Some have come out pretty good some not so much.

I was wondering though a local brewery went out of business and I was able to get a 55 pound bag of Canadian 2 row barley. My recipie is for a pilsener with dried malt extracts. 5 pounds of hopped dry extract and 1 pound light malt extract, with 1 oz of hallertau.

What should I do and how would it affect my beer if I steeped about 5 pounds of the 2 row grain before adding the malts? What would happen with 10 pounds?

Thanks for any replies.

Steeping the 2 row can do lots of things:
Depends on the temp and duration of the steeping...
Add gravity
Lighten the wort
mellow out the flavor... Less maltiness
Lower your OG/IBU ratio... or what ever it is called.

Is the 2 row milled?

What kinds of brews have you been doing? I'm guessing extract with steeping grains from your posts.

I think this is a sign from the beer gods that you need to move up to partial mash! That's a good supply of base malt so you can do some pretty inexpensive brews from here on out. Less extract, add some specialty grains, do a small mash with a few lbs of your 2-row and you're good to go!

Back