Tranfering during primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libzhark

Reaction score
Is it safe to transfer to a different fermenter in the middle of primary? I think my first bucket's seal has gone to hell. Foam is starting to come out from the under the lid. And pushing down on the lid it feels mushy, not really a tight seal. I'm approaching the 48 hour mark (actually, 5 days, but the original kit yeast i used didnt do anything after 3 days, so i repitched with wyeast 1762). It's been nice that the snow's kept me home for this period, but I can't stick around tomorrow to tend to the brew.

You just are having a blow off, that happens on occasion, it's just active fermentation.

Just clean off the airlock and rig up an airlock blowoff tube...take your bottling wand hose or other suitable one, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

You will run the risk of infecting or oxydizing the beer if you move it. And actually even if the top is "mushy" if stuff is getting out nothing can get it. You actually never have, nor do you want a tight seal unless you like having a ceiling full of beer.

You don't need to tend to it, you don't need to babysit it....it's doing fine.

Thanks for the quick response. I 've been running with a blowoff tube (tho I shoved my hose into the middle of the airlock tube instead of around it, I'll switch to fitting it around it) which is why I'm concerned that its coming out from under the lid and not all going through the tube.

Back