conditioning temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamfoamy

Reaction score
My first homebrew is now 10 days old. It is a hefeweizen brewed from extract. The O.G. was 1.050 and the F.G. today is 1.011. The temperature in my basement is 62 to 65 degrees, which was good for fermentation. I will bottle it this weekend. I understand that it is best to store the bottles at 70degrees for 3-weeks, but what about about 60 to 65 degrees?

Roll with it. It's in the optimum range for the yeast.

I have a similar situation. I started fermentation in the low to mid sixties (high of 65 and low of 59). After 3 weeks in the primary I racked to the secondary this past weekend. The temps here in NE fell this week and my basement is now in the 55-59 range. I'm considering moving the secondary to the utility room which stays about 72 degrees. It seems to be on the high end for germentation, but might be right on for conditioning.
Any advice?

My first homebrew is now 10 days old. It is a hefeweizen brewed from extract. The O.G. was 1.050 and the F.G. today is 1.011. The temperature in my basement is 62 to 65 degrees, which was good for fermentation. I will bottle it this weekend. I understand that it is best to store the bottles at 70degrees for 3-weeks, but what about about 60 to 65 degrees?

It's as if I thought of this question. I have the same predicament.

The 70-degree thing is a rule of thumb at best...a guideline. I've had plenty of beers carb up just fine at 65, it just took a few more days than PRECISELY three weeks. As long as you're within a few degrees either way you're just fine.

yeah, IMHO I would rather ferment at 60-65 and wait a few more days before im able to sample than condition at 70-75+ and have fully carbed beer a little sooner....slow is the way to go..better taste ..IMHO

I have a similar situation. I started fermentation in the low to mid sixties (high of 65 and low of 59). After 3 weeks in the primary I racked to the secondary this past weekend. The temps here in NE fell this week and my basement is now in the 55-59 range. I'm considering moving the secondary to the utility room which stays about 72 degrees. It seems to be on the high end for germentation, but might be right on for conditioning.
Any advice?

What did you brew?

Unless its a lager, I'd prolly pull it up. Mid 50s seems a tad too cold for me.

I keep my fresh batches up in my closet for two weeks then bring them down to the basement where it's more cellar temperatures(64*) for another week. Then I move them to the fridge for a week and that has worked nice for my Ales in Wisconsin.

If your basement is 60, then your upstairs is probably a little higher. I take bottles that are conditioning out of the brewery area in the basement and put them in a closet in the warmest room in the house, around 72. After a couple of weeks, I take them back down to the brewery area to be stored.

+1 on the closet. keeps the light out too. When I used to bottle thats what I did, and just kept my household temp in the 65-70 range.

Back