Pitch Temp Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CigarsNBeer

Reaction score
So I need to be told to Rdwhah....

Sat. night I was finishing a problematic brew. Nothing fancy just a Hef- But it was just one of those brews... Ran out of propane (switch tanks), terrific boilover (I swear I only turned around for a second) and then it started to rain...just the usuall stuff.

All in all it took much longer than usual. By eleven I was tired and under the influence of some earlier batches. Unfortunatelty, I commited what I consider to be a cardinal sin. Instead of taking the temp and pitching in the 70's I think I pitched the yeast with the wort way too warm. It was late I was tired and instread of taking a reading I just decided that it was ready. It wasn't untill I -picked up the carboy to shake that I realized how warm it was. If i had to guess, I would say the temp was @ mid-80's ugh.

So here is my question(s) along with some details...

-it was a bav. Hefe with wlp 380
-i realized my mistake the next morning and got a wet wrap on the carboy bringing temp down to high 60's
-I used a small starter ( 1 liter that had only been going about 16 hrs)
-fermentation had been solid vigorous for 6-12 hours then constant for two days
-now krausen has started to fall on day 4
-fermentation smells terrible (sulfer).... but it is a hefe?

So If I pitched in the mid 80's what is the worst case scenerio? Will I have ton's O' esters? Or will lowering the fermentation temp irradicate most of these? Should I let it sit longer, maybe in a secondary to try and avoid diacytel or other fusels?

any thoughts?

CG

Intresting you should bring this up. I just read the latest issue of BYO and there was an article about Belgian Brewers. To sum it up the Belgians Pitch cold 60F and let things warm up to 80F (wtf) They say thats how they get the phenol and ester profiles their looking for. My uneducated guess is that you'll be a little high in the phenol department. Also I would pasturize that beer cool to 60F and repitch cause the yeast don't like to be cooled, you could get a stuck or slow ferment. My $0.02.

Back