20 somthing HopBack/Turb catcher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been collecting a lot on stuff lately and have been reading a lot of every ones posts an looking at stuff on line. I've settled on making a HERM system because I've been doing Temperature control mashes since I started learning to AG brew. so far I got a 9gal SS pot with a ball valve, two Ranco temperature control units, a March pump, and a random assortment of coolers...

Over Christmas My mom got a Tea infuser for her friend for a gift, ant the wheals started turning filling the room with smoke...I got one of these for $4.50
p25553.jpg

and a rubber made 1/2 gal drink cooler at target for $9.99... and some brass fittings $5-6

and put this together.
20DallaHB.jpg
SS_ScreenHB.jpg
In-Hopback.jpg

I had been reading a Post a while back discussing HopBacks, and I had been thinking of making a peculation system to help contain the turb. With this I think I will be able to run the wort after the boil through this on its way to the chiller to catch the turb. The tea screen is about 3in tall and about 3.5in diameter so there is a lot of surface area, so hope it wont clog! I have also thought that I can incorporate this as a true hopback when i get the pump and plumbing all figured out...

I put a bed of food grade silicon in the lid to keep it air tight, an I plan on gravity feeding it so it wont create a negative pressure. but may be ill put a valve in the top so I can purge it when I first fill it.

EDIT: after some thought, I think I see what you are getting at, and if I put a length of 3/8 copper compression from the inlet down about half way the length of the vessel the wort wont splash so much when it is filling,in addition I can put a curve in to the soft copper to get the wort spinning as it goes through. I will also install a plastic back flow valve in the top to let air escape but not get back in.

Thanks for the notes.

A whirlpool will push the turb to the bottom like a centrifuge. I was thinking of putting in a stir bar to get that extra separation effect, but its a work in progress.

Back