Pursuit of the Perfect Malt Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
So I've decided that my true love really is rich, malty beer. I can easily enjoy a hop bomb and everything in between, but I find my self longing for that rich malty mouth orgasm after a while. So I have decided I will pursue the ultimate malt bomb!

My only hang up is that I have a 5 gal MLT to work with, so I obviously can't cram too much grain in there and be done with it, but I think I can actually take advantage of that!

My current theory (and I just thought of doing this, so bear with me) is to figure out the grain bill I want and split it into two manageable batches that I can fit into my 5 gal MLT. I'll mash the first batch low, 152F-154F, collect the first runnings and immediately start the boil on them. I may consider doing a decoction to get the mash up to 168F to get as much sugar as possible. The idea for the lower mash here is to get as much fermentable sugar as possible converted and then let the maillard reactions and caramelisation go to town while mashing the second batch.

Once I have the first runnings of batch #1 heating up for boil, clear out the MLT and in goes batch #2. I would mash this higher, up around 158F, and I am considering carefully taking some of the boiling wort form batch #1 to bring batch #2 up to mash out temp, then drain, combine, and boil again for another hour. A variant on this method would be to partion off ~1 to 1.5gal of the first runnings and boil that separately to really get some caramelisation going and then use that to add back into batch #2 to reach the mash out temp.

I'd shoot for a single hop additon at 60 min to add no more than 25 IBU, and an OG of about 1.100. I'm going to have a think about the potential grain bill to build for this now... I'm thinking of trying to keep as much of the grain bill as base grain as possible (I'd use MO), and count on wort caramelisation and Maillard reactions to yield colour. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Grain bill (total):
  • 17# Maris Otter (77.4%)
  • 3# Dark Munich (13.6%)
  • 1# Amber Malt (4.5%)
  • 1# Flaked Barley (4.5%)

Batch #1 - mash 152F for 60 mins (1.4 qt/lbs), decoct to mash out temp (168F), start boil while batch #2 is mashing. Expected OG: ~1.095 with 60% eff.
  • 8# Maris Otter
  • 3# Dark Munich

Batch #2 - mash 158F (1.25 qt/lbs), 60 mins, bring to mash out temp (168F) with boiling wort from batch #1. Expected OG: ~1.095 with 60% eff.
  • 9# Maris Otter
  • 1# Amber Mal
  • 1# Flaked Barley

Yeast - WLP037 Yorkshire Square

Hops - Fuggles, max 25 IBU

I love me some malt-bombs. You may want to look into some mild malt, but looking at BMW Ed no longer has that stuff. Decoct is one way to get those mallard reactions. another is to do a 2-hour vigorous boil to caramelize up some of that wort. Other good grains would be some brown malt, special roast, or Amber malt, they all have that awesome maltyness.

Another point would be yeast. you want malt-driven esters, so this would be a great place for the WLP037, yorkshire.

I love me some malt-bombs. You may want to look into some mild malt, but looking at BMW Ed no longer has that stuff. Decoct is one way to get those mallard reactions. another is to do a 2-hour vigorous boil to caramelize up some of that wort. Other good grains would be some brown malt, special roast, or Amber malt, they all have that awesome maltyness.

Another point would be yeast. you want malt-driven esters, so this would be a great place for the WLP037, yorkshire.

Use the WLP036 instead of my beloved WLP023?! That may be asking too much :p

I'm thinking something like this:

Eff: 70%. Batch size: 5.5 Gallons. OG: 1.100

18# Marris Otter (85%)
1.5# Dark Munich (7%)
1# Amber Malt (5%)
10oz Brown Malt (3%)

2.5oz Fuggles@60 (~25 IBUs)

Nottingham, WLP037, somthing malty.

I'm thinking something like this:

Eff: 70%. Batch size: 5.5 Gallons. OG: 1.100

18# Marris Otter (85%)
1.5# Dark Munich (7%)
1# Amber Malt (5%)
10oz Brown Malt (3%)

2.5oz Fuggles@60 (~25 IBUs)

Nottingham, WLP037, somthing malty.

I can definitely see using the amber malt rather than aromatic, should be a similar effect. As for the brown malt, I'm thinking maybe it's too dark? It's for bready/biscuity flavour, right? I might drop the brown for biscuit instead, since I'm expecting a good deal of colour from all the boiling anyway.

It's almost like a strong Maibock but with a UK twist. You might consider toasting some Maris Otter at home but you'll need to do it a couple of weeks ahead of time to let it rest. Toast it to be about like Amber malt. Nothing quite like home-toasted grains imo.

I unfortunately don't have my own mill, so toasting my own won't be that easy. I'm now thinking I will go with the idea of having a slight variation on the grain bill for each batch. Since I'll be mashing the second batch much higher, I was thinking I would also throw in at least 1# of flaked barley to that one to really get some body. I want this thing to have a real full body on it, you should almost need to chew it :) I started working on the grain bill last night, which I updated the first post with.

I still need to figure out what will make this beer truly unique, though.

Sounds kinda like my Bloody Scottish ***** recipe

12lb 4oz maris otter
1lb melanoidin malt
1lb caramel crystal 60L
8oz roasted barley

1/2oz chinook 60min
1oz EKG 30min
1oz fuggles 15min
1oz fuggles 5min

I take the first 1 1/2 gal of runnings and boil down to 1/2 gal.

I have made it by dropping the chinook and moveing the EKG to 60min at 1.5 oz that may be more of what you are looking for. It comes in at around 28ibu like that and 38 with the chinook. This has always came out to my likeing let us know what you come up with and how it comes out. I love a nice malty beer with some caramel overtone to it.

Sounds kinda like my Bloody Scottish ***** recipe

12lb 4oz maris otter
1lb melanoidin malt
1lb caramel crystal 60L
8oz roasted barley

1/2oz chinook 60min
1oz EKG 30min
1oz fuggles 15min
1oz fuggles 5min

I take the first 1 1/2 gal of runnings and boil down to 1/2 gal.

I wonder how the melanoidin malt compares to the amber malt. Just reading that melanoidin malt is like munich on steroids for malt flavour.

does it need to be 1.100? I wouldn't want sweetness ahead of malt.

i just used 1/2 lb melanoidin in a maibock I brewed yesterday. i'll let you know how it is in.....3 months...lol

does it need to be 1.100? I wouldn't want sweetness ahead of malt.

That's why I wanted to do the first batch at a lower mash temp. to extract as much fermentable sugar out as I can, though some of it would be carmelised in the long boil, but my hope would be that the first phase would help prevent the beer from being overly sweet. I also expect that the high alcohol content will help balance the sweetness.

It's all about the yeast! Well, and the grain bill too. I've been messing around with WLP 041 (Pacific ale) and am pleased with the nice malty results.

If you really want a malt bomb, you need to brew a lager. All those fruity ale flavors just cover up the malt ;) When I want malt, I go for a bock of some sort. There the yeast makes a big difference.

Unfortunately I have no lagering ability right now. Once I get the keezer setup, I'll be one step closer at least. FreezeBlade's suggestion of the WLP037 should give nice malty awesomeness. Looking at the stats of the 041, I'm not sure it'd be able to bring this big of a beer down far enough, the 037 has a slightly higher alcohol tolerance and attenuation. Of course, I plan on pitching this beast of a beer on to a fresh yeast cake probably from an ESB, so that should help with attenuation no matter the strain.

When I can lager, I'll do it both ways! See which wins... AND THEN I'll do one with Brett :p

That's been put forward, but since I've got amber malt in there already, I'd be concerned about them conflicting in taste or blowing it completely out of proportion (even for a malt bomb). Both grains seem to be geared towards doing the same thing, which is adding malt flavour.

A little more reading leads me to believe that melanoidin malt would give me a little more malty roundness than the amber malt might, but at the same time the first batch will be decocted to mash out temp anyway, which should produce some melanoidins, and then will be subjected to a very long boil which again should help create a little more melanoidin.

I fully expect this to be a beer I make 5+ times before I start to realise a solid recipe, so to begin with I think I'll leave the melanoidin malt out of the equation and see how to single decoction and long boil does for me.

I'm guessing you probably know what you are doing more than I do, but when I tried some amber malt at the LHBS, it was REALLY strong stuff. Tasted like burnt toast and I really didn't like it. 1lb sound like quite a bit.

subscribed. I really love malty beers as well so please keep the thread updated even when you get to batch #5. Thanks.

I am nowhere near your ability in deciding on which grains etc so will not be much help but will enjoy reading the thread! my favorite barlywine is this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/johns-red-english-barleywine-97485/ with the ibu down to 30, next time will be using EKG or Fuggle instead of nugget because of bulk buy. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Ben

Heh, with all the interest, I may have to brew this sooner than I expected... which means I'll have to brew my ESB for the cake too! gives me a good excuse for more brewing! Now I just need to get the yeast from FreezeBlade...

800 lbs marris otter
400 pounds crystal 120L
80 lbs black patent malt

Mash at 155F

Sparge with 800 gallons at 170F

Boil down to 5.5 gallons

1 oz fuggles at flameout......

Eat it with a spoon ;)

I agree with some of the others that the yeast is a big player. Great choice with 037. I've been brewing a series of beers with this. It brings out the malt profile nicely. The beers have been very rich and complex. The beers that have finished have attenuated between 77% and 80%.

Did you end up brewing this? I am a big fan of malt as well and was curious how it turned out for you.

Haven't brewed it yet. I just moved, so brewing has been on hold for a while. I'm hoping to get to it soon, and I'll report back when I do.

Sooooo did this get done??? I am currently researching scotch ale recipes

Has not been done yet, still on the to do list. I moved and am building a new set up, so I want to get that fine tuned before I try this beast of a beer.

Haven't had a chance amongst all the house work to go further with the new rig. I'm hoping early July to start building.

Haven't had a chance amongst all the house work to go further with the new rig. I'm hoping early July to start building.

Yeah moving can be a real bear sometimes. Well good luck with the build and I am looking forward to any future updates:rockin:

Seeing as I haven't brewed since May, none yet :) My new brew system is almost finished, so I will be starting up again soon. I'll likely change the recipe so that I can do one grain batch. I've doubled my capacity, so I can make some really BIG 5 gal batches now!

I have, in the meantime, been researching big malty beers by drinking as many as I can find :D

Now that I am brewing again, this is on my list. I am looking to dial my system in a little more before attempting to do anything like this, though.

Latest posts

Back