Freezing sausage for smoking at a later date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
Yesterday I made a 5 lb batch of smoked kielbasa according to the recipe in Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. I put the stuffed sausages in the fridge overnight, planning to smoke them today. Well, things got away from me and I now have no time to smoke the sausages for the next couple weeks. Would it be ok to freeze them and smoke them at a later date when I have time to devote to the task?

Yes, you can freeze the sausage before smoking.

Make sure to get as much air out of the package before sealing as possible.

If you have s vacuum sealer, that would work best. Otherwise, you can use freezer bags that you submerge in water to squeeze out air.

I've had to do this with sausage before when my stuffer broke before I could stuff it. It was frozen for about a week and a half and the sausage turned out the same as when I stuff and smoke right away.

Yes, you can freeze the sausage before smoking.

Make sure to get as much air out of the package before sealing as possible.

If you have s vacuum sealer, that would work best. Otherwise, you can use freezer bags that you submerge in water to squeeze out air.

I've had to do this with sausage before when my stuffer broke before I could stuff it. It was frozen for about a week and a half and the sausage turned out the same as when I stuff and smoke right away.

+1

Chris

Back