Crazy Dual Batch Idea? Scottish 80 schilling and IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worxman02

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I feel like I need to make an IPA as all my beers have been light on the IBUs up to this point. I love IPAs but for all the recipes that I decided to brew have not been super hoppy ones. I also have a craving for a Scottish 80 schilling for some reason and have been planning on brewing that next.

I figured it might be nice to have 2 beers on tap instead of just one as I usually do so I was trying to figure out what two beers I can make from one 10 gallon batch. Since I want an IPA and a hoppier than normal Scottish 80 schilling I thought maybe I should go crazy and try to get both from the same batch.

My plan was to use Jamil's Scottish 80 schilling recipe from Brewing Classic Styles but change the hopping (using pellets) schedule to:

2.5oz of cascade @ 60 mins
2.5 oz of willamette @ 30 mins
3.5 oz of willamette @ flameout

Beersmith says I'll get about 40 IBUs for the batch. I was then going to split the batch and pitch WLP028 Edinburgh yeast into the scottish fermenter and WLP001 Cal Ale into the IPA fermenter. My plan was to dry hop the IPA fermenter with some more cascade pellets.

I know this isn't really making a true batch of either style (and the IPA is not really an IPA at all), but I thought it would be an interesting experiment that I haven't tried before and it should at least produce some decent beer. If the IPA version isn't hoppy enough it will be a good excuse to build a randall :D

My questions are: would this work? I've never dry hopped before so I don't know how much to use for the dry hop and for how long? What would the results of dry hopping be for this style of beer?

I know the dry hopping won't add much bitterness but would add some nice hop aroma and flavor. Maybe making a hop tea and adding that to the "IPA" fermenter?

Help!

I know this thread is old, but I just did something similar. I did an IPA and split the ten gallons into two five gallon batches. One with CA ale yeast and the other with Edinburgh. I'm drinking the scottish IPA now and I love it. I'll keg the american this weekend.

Latest posts

Back