Best hot weather beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a great recipe for hot weather.

I'm not ready for lagering, so a light refreshing brew that you would want after a day of playing football, or digging ditches.

Something that would really cool you off. :mug:

Heck yeah, 3 Crops is Teh Awsum.

If you look in my recipe dropdown for Schmi...etc. (or click here), you'll find a recipe for a 1950s Brooklyn-style lager that works great as a Cream Ale. Just ferment cool (~65F) with Notty or S-05.

Cheers,

Bob

BM's Centennial Blonde was the house favorite this summer and is now my regular on tap. Crisp, light, and easy to brew. I am going to have to try that cream of the crops cream ale though, it is always being mentioned in questions like this.

Cream ale is the refreshing beer that the mass-market American lagers wish they could be. When I brew it, it's not anybody's favorite beer, but everyone likes it at least somewhat in hot weather. Wit's a good choice too, and when next summer rolls around I'm probably dusting off my honey wit recipe (short version: make a witbier, dump in 6-8 pounds of honey at flameout, hop just a tiny bit more than you would normally do for a wit, and warn people about the gravity).

Or you could do what I did for this August: a Belgian tripel with a honey adjunct instead of the usual sugar, and push it up to about 10%. Don't warn anybody, if you're feeling cruel; brewed right, you can get a beer that's got the refreshing body of a lighter cream ale and the gravity of a barleywine. After a day of exercise, it hits you like a rock.

I like my session pale ale for this. 3.7% nice hops, about 25ibu and a ton of finishing hops. Good and not strong enough to slow down the afternoons work.

I would suggest a cream ale, served cold. It's the perfect lawnmower beer!

Biermunchers "Cream of Three Crops" is excellent, and I have a cream ale recipe posted as well.

They are AG recipes, but can be easily converted to extract for extract brewers.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

The session pale ale really caught my eye, as well as the cream ales.

The most interesting answer was for the 10% ABV Belgian tripel with honey adjunct. After mowing the lawn in 108 degrees, not to sure about that one. ;)

Hefeweizens are a favorite of mine in the summer. Actually, they taste pretty good any time of the year.

Back