Making a Starter w/ a Stir Plate Directions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All -

I am familiar with starters and have made 4-5 already in the last few months. But I just got a stir plate... and I wanted to see if there was a specific procedure to follow when using one.

The plan was to boil the wort in a pot, the cool in pot, then add to the 3L flask.

Add yeast when wort is at 68F or so.

Add to stir plate and turn in on.

Can anyone with more experience elaborate on this? Am I overthinking?

Thanks

Typically the flask that you have should be capable to boil and cool the starter wort in. That is one of the nice things about using the flasks for starters. Just want to make sure that it is "Kimax"

The not so nice thing about boiling in the flask is the chances of a boil over which is quite high. Fermcap S is an absolute necessity IMHO.

So basically, measure out your DME, water, add a few drops of Fermcap S, your stir bar (i use yeast nutrient at this point as well) and throw it on the stove. When done boiling, cover w/ sanitized foil 'cap' and hit the ice bath. When sufficiently cool, pitch your yeast. Put the flask on the stir plate and get stirring.

Looks about right. Make sure to put a piece of foil on top to keep out any nasties. Oh, and make sure the flask is sanitized. If it is an erlenmeyer flask you might just boil the wort in it to sanitize all in one process.

What I do and which has worked for me:

2 cups light DME to 2 qts boiling water (take the pot off the stove and allow it to cool a bit or you will have a boil over mess - take it from me)

Boil for 15 minutes - doesn't have to be a crazy boil just make certain that it is bubbling

Cool in an ice bath until you get the temp down to roughly 70' - I don't have the patience to get much lower than that because my arm/wrist is normally worn out from moving the saucepan back and forth

Pitch the cooled wort into the flask. Make certain that you have the magnet (sanitized) in there. Pour the yeast into the flask

Center the magnet on the stir plate and allow to spin for 24 hours >

This has worked well for me everytime. Montanaandy

Forgot - as was mentioned, spray a square of folded tin foil with sanitizer and place it over the top of the flask. Does not need to be/should not be air tight. Montanaandy

Thanks... I am aware of the boiling, the ratio of water to DME, the foil, the sanitation etc. I have made a bunch of starters.

I just wasnt sure if there was something different that I needed to do with using a plate. It came with a little silver round magnet that says to use it to keep the stir bar to the side while I add the wort. I wasnt sure why that was.

But basically, I just make a starter like I normally would... add it cooled to the flask (with stir bar already in it) and start up the plate it seems.

Boil with the stir bar right in there right?

I don't. I've heard you can melt it, so I just dump it in at flame out, which is enough to sanitize it. Tip the flask at an angle when you drop it in, to slide it across the wall, rather than drop it straight down to the bottom.

To avoiding having a really hot stir bar while boiling I've using the little magnet to keep it above the boiling wort on the side of the flask. It gets sterlized by the steam during the boil.

IMO you also should aerate very well. I know the stir-plate will do it to some degree but I think a good aeration once the wort is cooled is better than just relying on the stir-plate to do it.

I boil in a pot with the stirbar, then I take the santized flask and run hot tap water over the bottom/outside of it while inverted (to heat it up) then I dump the just-off-the-boil wort inside and chill in the fridge. Then once chilled I shake it up vigorously and pitch the yeast. The reason I don't boil in the flask is boilovers and don't like using the flask on my electric stove although some people do it with no issues.

To reduce boil over in the Erlenmeyer, I've taken to using a few drops of Fermcap-S, right before the boil starts. Then I cut the heat back some just as it starts boiling.

You have to be careful, because them darn flasks go up like a volcano....

You have to be careful, because them darn flasks go up like a volcano....

I can second that, even with using Fermcap S; I still have trouble with boil overs in the flask if I'm not watching it and adjusting the heat non-stop.

I can second that, even with using Fermcap S; I still have trouble with boil overs in the flask if I'm not watching it and adjusting the heat non-stop.

Something worth trying is bringing a small amount of water with the Fermcap to a boil, then adding the additional water and DME. I believe the Fermcap is only effective once the boil is reached and the simethicone is dissolved. I guess I might give this a try myself next time.

Back