Different yeast=different ferm. color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymark

Reaction score
I brewed up an 10 gal IPA this weekend. I racked to 2 separate carboys and pitch with separate yeasts . One is Wyeast 1968 and the other is a cultured Bell's yeast. The 1968 has slowed, but the Bell's is still fermenting like mad. Why is the color so different? One carboy is shaped differently, but the color is the same as the diameter tapers. The carboy on the right was filled first after wort was chilled with immersion chiller.

IMG_1209.JPG

You may have less trub in the fermenter on the right if you siphoned it off first. The left probably has more hot and cold break material being thrown around.

I am with you though, the fermenter on the left is wider and therefore should be darker. Interested to see when they both settle out.

Possible it wasn't mixed well?

Did you top off?

I'm just speculating, but perhaps the difference is the amount of yeast in suspension and/or quantity of CO2 coming out of solution at this moment, floating the little buggers around. I am curious though to see how this little experiment ends, so be sure to post results in another few days when the krausen falls; SCIENCE!

No siphon, keggle with pick T and out welded side drain, so the first one out has more trub (right). No top off water either. I haven't brewed anything this pale for a while (15+ years) with the 1968. Does the CO2 wash out some color? The 1968 takes off like a rocket and that may have cleaned the color? Video of 1968, 20 hours after pitch and darker.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the sake of science here are some current photos. Still a little krausen on the Bell's yeast, but the 1968 finished 2-3 days ago. Transferred the 1968 carboy today and it tasted amazing (1.065-1.017 in 4 days and clear). Color appears to be the same again.

BTW, if you never used the 1968 yeast, you should try it. Clears quick and an English Mild/Bitter can be drinkable with force carb in 10 days. Ignore the diacetyl nonsense. It's an ale, and it is only slightly apparent if kept on the cool side of fermentation (64 F or lower). I love Fuller's beers, so a little diacetyl is not an issue for me.
5hqxp5M.jpg

sUd3dnD.jpg

Back