Just made my own immersion wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashscraft

Reaction score
Not beautiful but itll do the job
I
ForumRunner_20120615_063325.jpg

ForumRunner_20120615_063325.jpg

Not bad for the first time. I know shaping the copper can be a pain. If you happen to have a corny keg handy they are great to use as a guide to bend the soft copper into a coil, but again if it works who cares what it looks like :)

Thanks I wish I had a corny but have to get the wife on board with that one haha

Haha I olny saved like 10 bucks on mine, copper is not cheap these days I made it for $55

My first one looked like that as well. if you have not used it, and have a desire to make it look prettier, do it before you use it. The constant heating/cooling on them tends to make them a bit more rigid.

You don't need a corny, if you have a co2 tank or even a bucket you can have your girlfriend grab one end and you the other, forming it around the bucket. Or, you can go to a 7-11, or gas station, and tighten it around one of those concrete poles that are supposed to stop cars from driving into pumps or what not. You might get weird stares/arrested, but hey whats lift without embarrasing risk?

you could also use it down the road as a pre-chiller and then make a "prettier/bigger" one as the actual chiller.

My first one looked like that as well. if you have not used it, and have a desire to make it look prettier, do it before you use it. The constant heating/cooling on them tends to make them a bit more rigid.

You don't need a corny, if you have a co2 tank or even a bucket you can have your girlfriend grab one end and you the other, forming it around the bucket. Or, you can go to a 7-11, or gas station, and tighten it around one of those concrete poles that are supposed to stop cars from driving into pumps or what not. You might get weird stares/arrested, but hey whats lift without embarrasing risk?

If you reform it after it's been used, does that make it brittle or just more rigid?

fugazzi said:
If you reform it after it's been used, does that make it brittle or just more rigid?

Probably neither, but it being more rigid would make it a bit harder to reform.

I made a 1/2" 50 footer this weekend. $70 shipped for the copper; used a corny keg as a form. I was thinking about weaving copper wire between the coils to make it more rigid and space the coils out a bit, but someone on here said it would get harder with time; not sure if that's true.

chiller.jpg

ME super with 50/1.4 and Olympus T32 flash. It does get used, just not for posting photos to the web. I wish someone made digital backs, so I could use all my classing 35mm SLRs more.

Back