Mead bubbling flatlined - Am I ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michiganjoe

Reaction score
Im fermenting one gallon of my first mead. I made it on April 9th and I have had consistent yet decreasing activity since brew-day. After 48 hrs it was bubbling every 3 seconds. On April 7th it had slowed to every 10-12 seconds. Now it is bubbling once every 30 seconds. My question is:

IS THIS NORMAL? Thanks!

ingredients

lavlin d47 yeast
3 lbs honey
orange, raisin
bottled water

The only way to truly tell when its done is to measure the gravity, if its stable for 3 days its done.

Mead/Wine/Beer fermentation will slow down and sometimes will bubble even after fermentation is complete as it can still release CO2

Yes, it's probably fine, but I see no nutrients listed.

I'd have thought that your brew will either get very dry, or the lack of nutrients/energiser etc will cause it to stall out and you'll have a sweet mead result. If the later, then you'd need to hit it with sulphites and sorbate to stabilise it, if the former, then you'd still need to stabilise it as you'll probably need to back sweeten it.

Yes, it's probably fine, but I see no nutrients listed.

I think he has a variant of a JAOM with the oarange and raisins as the nutritional sources

ingredients

lavlin d47 yeast
3 lbs honey
orange, raisin
bottled water

Maybe give your fermenter a good shake or more safely a swirl (like rotate back and forth quick, think washing machine agitater) and once it settles add some source of nutrition, at this point some chopped raisins or if you have some yeast available, put in a cup of boiling water and let simmer in there about 15 minutes and add that might be good then let it be for a bit see what happens, give it time again to settle out and if nothing happens rack it into a secondary

Thanks
According to the recipe's instructions the raisins, and orange, to a lesser extent, would serve as proper nutrient. Im going to follow BrewMedic's suggestions.

Back