Too much trub in bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
So I was trying to brew and bottle at the same time. I had a siphon going from the primary to the bottling bucket and I left it to go check on the kettle. When I came back, I saw that it had slipped down to the bottom and was sucking up a lot of yeast/trub. A lot of yeast/trub. I put a lid and airlock on it and put it back in the closet. I had already added 3/4 cup priming sugar.

Should I bottle tomorrow or wait a few days. If so, should I add more priming sugar?

It sounds like you and I have similar brewing 'techniques' -- this totally sounds like something I would do. Personally, I would just bottle it anyways, especially if you racked from a secondary to your bottling bucket. Everything should settle out in the bottles eventually.

But recognize that the priming sugar you already added is going to get fermented relatively quickly, so you can't really delay the bottling. If you must, I would give it a couple days to ferment the priming sugar, then add new stuff and bottle immediately.

As FlyGuy said, the priming sugar will ferment pretty fast. I would let it ferment out at this point, since it will be hard if not impossible to get reliable carbonation at this point, then I would re-prime and bottle. Dont worry if you wind up siphoning a little sediment, it will fall to the bottom of the bottles. Just pour carefully.

- magno

Last night I had trouble with a leaky siphon hose after priming. so i stopped the bottling process, and came here looking for advice. found this old thread with the search function.
So, I will wait, and re-prime. I guess we just increased the ABV by a bit. ha
thanks.

Back