Pacman vs San Diego Super Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurch69

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a house yeast strain, something clean and with high attenuation. Similar to US-05 but slightly better attenuation. I've been looking at Pacman (Wyeast 1764) and San Diego Super Yeast (WLP090). Does anyone have any experience / recommendations with these strains? I know there are a lot of comments on here regarding Pacman already, but was wondering if anyone can compare that to San Diego.

Pacman says it has an attenuation range of 72-78%, which seems pretty close to what US-05 gets. But I've read a few posts from people who said they get better attenuation than that from it.

San Diego Super Yeast says it's range is 76-83%+ but people have said while it is a fast fermenter, it still produces about the same range of attenuation as US-05.

San Diego is still pretty new and may have some good potential, but I think I'm leaning towards getting some Pacman. I hear only good things about it. Thoughts?

There's a whole thread on the San Diego yeast on the forum with feedback on fermentations. I'm on the mobile app so I can't easily attach the thread. Look there...lots of good info.

Pacman is my house American ale strain. It has worked great for me as long as the fermentation temperatures remain in the 60's. I have not yet brewed with the San Diego strain. The optimum temperature range is rather limited and I haven't felt my ambient temperatures in the basement were stable enough yet to try it...soon they will be and I'll likely give it a go for fun. I love me some Pacman, though, so I'll be interested to see how it affects one of my house APA brew.

kcpup - where in the 60's do you keep your fermentation? My last batch of Dead Guy Ale was held at 60 for a few weeks. My current batch of ESB was held at 65 and just brought to 70 yesterday.

Both were fermented with Pacman.

kcpup - where in the 60's do you keep your fermentation? My last batch of Dead Guy Ale was held at 60 for a few weeks. My current batch of ESB was held at 65 and just brought to 70 yesterday.

Both were fermented with Pacman.

Hi, Ultravista -

Ideally, I like it right around 60. I do not have a temp controlled fermentation chamber, and this summer I had to do an APA where the temp peaked at around 67. It turned out good. I was relieved! Here's why I keep in low 60's whenever possible:

"Pacman is really great yeast; everything about it is good. Pacman attenuates well, is alcohol tolerant, and it produces beers with no diacetyl if the beer is well made. It's very flocculent, which makes it a great choice for bottle conditioning. I ferment almost all my beers at 60 F; once in a while for certain styles I'll ferment as high as 70 F, but never higher. Use lots of oxygen, and a high pitch rate. I never repitch past the 6th generation, and I always use Wyeast Yeast Nutrient."
John Maier, Brewmaster, Rogue Ales

Back