Nitro kegging/serving question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphalabuk

Reaction score
Hi all, I am kind of new to the kegging world, and I have an important question. I have a CO2 system with two taps in a refrigerator. I am adding a nitro system for my beloved stouts, and I get conflicting advice from my friends who have been kegging way longer than me.
Friend number one says I should carbonate my stout with CO2 just like any other brew (maybe a bit less carbonation), then the nitro mix is only used to serve the stout through the stout faucet.
Friend number two says I am supposed to carbonate my stout using the nitro mix and that I will never hook my CO2 tank up to my stout keg at all.
Which one is right? I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks!
Just for my own education, does that mean the nitro/CO2 mix (75/25, as I recall) is only to push the beer for serving? I would suspect that is due to the higher pressure, and the need to force it through the restrictor plate in the stout faucet; does that sound right?

That was a lot of information! I read through that, and it answered questions I did not even know I had.
Nothing left to do now but do it.

For what its worth, you can carb with your nitro mix, its just not worth it. For instance, if you've got a 75/25 mix and want to carb your beer to 8psi co2, you could hook it up to 32psi nitro mix and it will carb up. True, the nitro won't dissolve into the beer, but the co2 will. However, since most of us have co2 tanks handy, and the nitro mix tends to either be in a smaller bottle, and/or more expensive, its often just as easy and cheaper to carb with co2 or naturally carb, then serve with the nitro mix so you aren't wasting that carbing.

This thread was incredibly helpful. I just set up my nitro faucet last night, and couldn't figure out why the beer tasted thin and undesirable. I hadn't really thought about it critically yet, but a quick search on here turned that light bulb back on.

Here's to a well CARBED porter on nitro. Cheers. :drunk:

Back