Broke my pizza stone...!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Resurrected my pizza stone a week ago, made great pizza, and stone was left (passive voice!) leaning against a wall.. it got knocked down, and broke...:mad:

I read some use a clay tile as a stone.

Anybody with experience with that?
Other material that would be temp-proof and absorb humidity, like clay does?

So, you arrange several bricks on the floor of the oven, to make a 12'x12" or so surface?

If yes, that would take some time to heat up (thermal mass), but the payback could be found in better pizza!

So, you arrange several bricks on the floor of the oven, to make a 12'x12" or so surface?

If yes, that would take some time to heat up (thermal mass), but the payback could be found in better pizza!

A couple things:

1) Keep the pizza stone in the oven at all times, don't take it out. The stone is going to help all aspects of heat retention in the oven, resulting in even baking for any application. Even when I'm baking a cake, the pizza stone is in the oven.

2) You can definitely use a flooring tile (unglazed, though) as a stone - I do this. I couldn't find one that thick, but it's been working fine. Bricks will work too.

3) Before cooking a pizza on the stone, you should be preheating your oven for around an hour no matter what type of stone is in there - this is pretty common procedure.

Good luck!

3) Before cooking a pizza on the stone, you should be preheating your oven for around an hour no matter what type of stone is in there - this is pretty common procedure.
!

Thanks 'Chef.

I still do not understand the preheat-forever thing.

Granted, you want the stone and overall oven to be at temp. but why maintain it so long? Wouldn't a modern appliance be good/powerful enough to produce, and keep temp at, say, 450 deg.?

Thanks 'Chef.

I still do not understand the preheat-forever thing.

Granted, you want the stone and overall oven to be at temp. but why maintain it so long? Wouldn't a modern appliance be good/powerful enough to produce, and keep temp at, say, 450 deg.?

Well, most residential ovens operate in a cyclical fashion. That is, when you turn it on, even to 250° or 550° it just turns on and gets hot. Then, when its sensor tells the oven it has reached that temp, it turns off...so the temperature begins to fall. Once it drops below a designated deviation in the sensor, it turns back on again. Then, this cycle just repeats.

By having the oven preheat for an extended period of time, there will be fewer and fewer fluctuations in temperature when this cycle works during the actual cooking. Therefore, it creates a more even temperature dispersion throughout the entire space of the oven.

yep thats it I also would say to leave it on and in heat up mode longer it will take longer to heat up as Chef has said.

Cheers
and happy pizza cooking... have you ever tried them on the BBQ??? Loads of fun
JJ

Back