In SoCal next week...will I find Pliny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I'm going to be in socal for a week visiting the in-laws, Simi Valley to be specific. I want to try and pick up some Pliny to bring back as gifts to the east coast. How difficult is this going to be? I found this:

http://russianriverbrewing.com/southern-california-distributor/

Nothing in Simi, but a few places in Thousand Oaks which is just next door. Any chance these places will have it in stock, or is this a call-ahead and get there on the morning of delivery sort of thing?

The last couple times I tried to find it, it was slim pickings, so I'd probably call ahead. Also, most of the time I've been able to find it in SoCal there's been a bottle limit (1 or 2). So you may have a hard time collecting enough for gifts.

A month ago someone visiting San Diego wanted to try it and found it, it depends on how badly you want it. Simi Valley is out in the Northern sticks. Socal is very big place with a lot of beer. I am sure you can find it depends on how far you are willing to travel and how much traffic you can handle.

It looks like there are a good number of places between TO, Simi and Moorpark, and my wife has some family in the area who are up for a scavenger hunt. I fly out on Sunday, so I'll start calling around to the local places to see if they can confirm when they get deliveries so I don't spend an entire day liquor-store hopping.

And yeah...not driving to Santa Rosa haha. We are going to hit up Golden Road Brewing though, some friends out there seem to enjoy it.

Total wine in thousand oaks used to have it but would only do one bottle on Tuesdays or something. I haven't been there in a long time, you could try calling them to ask.

It looks like there are a good number of places between TO, Simi and Moorpark, and my wife has some family in the area who are up for a scavenger hunt. I fly out on Sunday, so I'll start calling around to the local places to see if they can confirm when they get deliveries so I don't spend an entire day liquor-store hopping.

And yeah...not driving to Santa Rosa haha. We are going to hit up Golden Road Brewing though, some friends out there seem to enjoy it.

Golden road is pretty boring, and not just because its ABInBev. There are plenty of other places, but not really in that area (that I know of), I'm more on the Orange County side. If you like IPAs, Noble in Anaheim is killin it. Theres like 5 other breweries within 5-10 mins from Noble if you want to make a little trip out of it. Bruery, Bruery Terreux, Bottle Logic, Phantom Ales, Valiant, Hoparazzi, etc

Tried to find it last November when out in Palo Alto for work. No luck.

But we finished up early on the day we were flying home so we drove up to Santa Rosa. Best decision I've ever made.

Golden road is pretty boring, and not just because its ABInBev. There are plenty of other places, but not really in that area (that I know of), I'm more on the Orange County side. If you like IPAs, Noble in Anaheim is killin it. Theres like 5 other breweries within 5-10 mins from Noble if you want to make a little trip out of it. Bruery, Bruery Terreux, Bottle Logic, Phantom Ales, Valiant, Hoparazzi, etc

+1 on the OC breweries. Definitely worth a little bit of a drive from Simi Valley.

Theres a group in LA too, el segundo has tons of IPAs, smog city has everything, monkish, phantom carriage. I never really get to those, I like the OC stuff a lot better, and its closer.

also wades wines in thousand oaks/Westlake has a huge selection of beer on tap and in bottles, if you end up out that way

Back