Pumpkin Ale - Over Spiced?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Just got my first taste of my pumpkin ale, and I'll say this. I can barely taste any sweetness or pumpkin. It mostly tastes like over powering spices? What should I do? I racked it to a keg to chill it and added some gelatin to clear it up a bit. I will say the bit I tasted was the last bit of what was in the fermenter...probably where most of the spices had settled.

I was going to draw another sample after giving the gelatin a few days to work it's magic. Any suggestions if it is still overspiced? I can run it through a 1mic filter...but not sure if that would fix the problem?

I think you'll have plenty of time for the spices to calm down until this beer will be in season.

The spices will mellow out with time.

Not to belabor the point, but I overspiced my first two xmas ales I ever brewed, and aged both of them for over two years, mostly to see how much the spices would fade. Still overpowering 2 years in. It's really a question of how overspiced you're talking. Mine were spiced (almost) to the point of bitterness -- I'd just like to advise that truly overpowered beers won't recover. Just an FYI, and I sincerely hope you're not in the same boat I was.

I wouldn't say it's overpowering. You can just really taste the all spice. I must admit, I was hoping for something closer to pumpkin pie. Maybe I need to up the brown sugar and pumpkin in the next batch, or maybe include some butternut squash?

Posting your recipe will take much of the guess work out, if you are looking for HBT opinions on it...

Back