False Bottom Sealing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtVandalay

Reaction score
I recently put together a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with false bottom for my mash tun. The instructions indicated that the internal barb connected to the bulkhead should be connected to the barb on the false bottom with tubing. Is it necessary to use clamps to make sure this tubing connection is sealed? Is the goal to have sealed connections throughout the system to form a siphon or is the sealing only necessary in regards to leaking outside the cooler?

I recently put together a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with false bottom for my mash tun. The instructions indicated that the internal barb connected to the bulkhead should be connected to the barb on the false bottom with tubing. Is it necessary to use clamps to make sure this tubing connection is sealed? Is the goal to have sealed connections throughout the system to form a siphon or is the sealing only necessary in regards to leaking outside the cooler?

No, you don't need clamps. But make sure it stays put if you accidentally hit it with a mash paddle! I did that, and had to dump my mash out and reconnect everything. I didn't realize I did it until nothing at all would come out. Arggghhhhh!

I don't use clamps, and it would be a PITA to clean, but I have a longer piece of tubing (now) that is a bit more difficult to put on and take off. I never knocked it off again!

Back