Newb question fermentation fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev55

Reaction score
Hello all, i just started getting into home brew and im looking to get a fridge whats the best type to ferment in? whats the difference between auto and manual what one should i get and how to tell the difference i have the eBay aquarium temperature controller ready to go just need a fridge . THANKS!

I have a 20 year old GE Fridge that works fine. I have the Johnson Controls temp controller and it allows me to ferment in Texas when it's 110°. So I would think any fridge will work as long as its big enough to hold your carboy or fermentation bucket. I took out the crispers at the bottom of the fridge and replaced it with a wood shelf.

image-2586341325.jpg

,I think most use a chest freezer with a temp controller. Freezers are more energy efficient and have more floor space for more kegs. If your looking at new, freezers are cheaper too.

I found a chest freezer on criagslist for $40. Hooked it up to a Johnson Controller and works like a champ! During the winter I use just a large tub of water and aquarium heaters :)

I spent $40 on mine I think. There was one catch. The previous owner painted the inside to cover up some rust spots. I bought some naval jelly and killed the rust. Then bought some appliance paint meant for fridges and painted the inside according to the directions. After all of that I bought some damp rid and put it on a pie plate to take care of the moisture build up. Works like a charm. Everything total I spent maybe $75. I can fit 2 7gal fermentors in there and probably 3-5 soda kegs when I get to that point. I normally only do 1 batch at a time now due to busy schedule, but doing 2 at a time had no issues for me. My beer quality went up a good amount from using this. No more guessing about the temp and remembering to swap ice bottles in a swamp cooler. When not in use for fermentation I roll it over to neighbors houses for a BBQ beer fridge. Usually a case or 2 of my home brew inside with it. It is actually really handy to have for things other than just brewing.

Buy for the future. I am already looking at getting another for holding bottled beer right now and kegs in the future.

thanks everyone i just picked up a chest freezer for 10$ with a broken thermostat but i think my temperature controller should fix that right?

I have 2 chest freezers...1 that I use as a kegerator and 1 that I use for fermenting. I use the Johnson digital thermostat controls for each and they work fantastic. My only complaint is that I have a little trouble keeping it warm enough in the winter, which is when I usually resort to fermenting in my pantry. Your broken thermostat should not be an issue if you can plug it in and it still turns on, but I'm no repairman! Cheers!

Back