Batch vs Fly sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
What's the difference? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to get a false bottom for a cooler or a stainless steel tube. Thanks!

What's the difference? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to get a false bottom for a cooler or a stainless steel tube. Thanks!

I'm still pretty new but didn't realize the type of drain (false bottom, manifold, tube) dictated which sparge method you used. I have a false bottom in my cooler mash tun and plan on batch sparging.

Fly sparge is a little more labor intensive you have to keep the water moving into the mash tun slowly and running out the bottom at relative,y the same speed.

Batch you get to take a break between steps.

I batch sparge. I think its easier for a one-man-band.

I'm still pretty new but didn't realize the type of drain (false bottom, manifold, tube) dictated which sparge method you used. I have a false bottom in my cooler mash tun and plan on batch sparging.

Either a false bottom or manifold are fine for either batch or fly.
From what I understand the screens and hose braids don't work so well for fly sparging.

Back