Do you belong to the American Homebrewers Association (AHA)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you belong to the American Homebrewers Association?

• Yes, it is worth every penny.

• No, too expensive.

• No, just have not gotten around to it yet.

• Yes, but it is a little pricey.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Though I won't say the subscription to Zymurgy alone is worth it, I wanna support a group that tries to keep Homebrewing legal and legalize it in the places it isn't yet. Unfortunately here in Massachusetts it is illegal to discount alcohol but in other states you can get discounts at brew pubs.

I'm an AHA member. It's money well spent as they are our only defense against restrictive home brewing laws. The organization is not perfect. None are, but without them we are adrift and defenseless for the most part. There are some who would like to prohibit home brewing or find a way to tax the hell out of it. Eventually, these forces would likely cause problems for us. There are other AHA benefits such as the Zymurgy magazine and the national competition.

just joined recently so I can't vouch for its value -- but it did allow me to enter into the national competitions...

I'm a member of the AHA, my local club (NTHA), this forum and the BN Army. All of them are worth every penny they cost, because without these resources, I wouldn't be near the brewer that I am today, and I think that's worth it.

Definitely worth every penny:

- Zymurgy
- Reduced fees to NHC
- Pub discounts! (I get 20% off to Iron Hill as an AHA member)
- Legislative support

Now pony up and join. :D

I intend to, but just haven't yet. Seems like every extra dime I get goes to ingredients or equipment so I can actually make beer. I'd like to think I'll be a member before October if we get the chance to go to GABF.

I'm a member, though I need to renew my membership soon, and I think it's worth it if you can take advantage of the pub discounts. Unfortunately there are only 3 participating pubs in Connecticut and none of them are anywhere near me.... Even so, I will renew my membership just to continue supporting the HB movement:mug:

I am currently a member but, I am considering not renewing.

While the membership fee's do benifit the promotion of homebrew, Oklahoma is a black hole in this regard. Too many thumpers anti-everything. If HB does ever legalize here I am certain we will be the last and I have no doubt their will be some archaic blue laws associated with it. Ignorant stuff like "No Brewing on Sunday" or some crap like that.

The magazine is the only real benifit to me now and even it seems to get redundant over the last few years and $30 buys some nice brewing supplies.

I get 10% off at my LHBS with my AHA card, so it pays for itself really quick. I would still be a member if it weren't for that though. I think it is a good cause for all of us, and especially for those who don't yet have the rights to brew legally. Someone has to fight for you guys.

Not yet, but have been meaning for awhile now. I'll definitely be signed up before GABF this year, plus i like how i can get discounts at alot of places here around me.

Just a reminder:

GABF Pre-Sale
American Homebrewers Association
and Brewers Association Members Only May 19, 2009
Pretty much essential for the best session. Saturday afternoon.
Tickets sell out fast. General public sale is June 1.

No one in MI that I know of gives any discount for AHA or any other membership.

I have no interest to compete in HBing contests.

There seems no good reason to give them money.

Pass.

No option for me in poll.

I couldn't find much to benefit in my area, the site didn't list much in the way of discounts and I don't frequent pubs much even if it did. I will most likely buy one eventually just to support the cause.

I'm debating it. I just emailed my LHBS and if they offer a discount I think I will get. But as someone said, its almost $40/yr I could use on supplies and there is only one pub in my hometown that is listed...and its a chain restaurant that we like but don't frequent often. And unless the conference is in Milwaukee or maybe Minneapolis/Twin Cities I doubt I'd ever go. But it is a good cause and I think I may stop my BYO subscription and do this instead.

I am a member solely for the Zymurgy membership. Every brew pub I have been to claims to never heard of the discount and refuse to give me one so that part of the AHA membership is useless. Zymurgy has provided several interesting articles and I have learned quite a few useful techniques. Also, if you are able to make it to the GABF you get a discount on tickets and are able to buy before anyone else is.

Back