Need Recipe - summer beer fast kettle to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfista

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for tips on a good, simple recipe to brew tonight and have kegged for consumption a week from tomorrow. One of my first two kegged beers had an off flavor going into the corny last night. Looking for a crowd-pleaser. Will have a wheat beer on tap as well.

Thanks!

Jason

I don't think you can get anything ready in less than 10 days, not even a British mild. You could give a hefeweizen a try- but you'd need a big starter to ensure enough yeast. It would take a couple of days just to make the starter.

I was drinking a bitter that I made 5 days grain to glass and it was great. So I would reccomend a bitter brewed with a very fast yeast strain, I used WLP007. It was done fermenting and dropped out after three days. I kegged it, kept it at 25 PSI for two days, turned it down to 10 psi and it was ready to roll.

So here is my grainbill that I used, I can't remember exactly how I hopped it, but it was similar to what I listed.

3.5 pounds pale malt
3.5 pounds golden promise
1 pound flaked oats
1/2 pound C120
1/4 pound special roast
Mash at 155
WLP007
Ferment at 68
1 oz willamette FWH
1 oz willamatte at 60
3 oz willamette at 5

If I had 10 days, I would primary ferment it for 5 and then keep it in the keg at 12 psi for another five and you would have one tasty summertime thirst quencher. The key is WLP007.....if you pitch and aerate properly, in 3 days this yeast is done.

A low gravity pale ale or blonde might work. I find that if you overhop a pale ale, it tastes fresher quickly. I had an IPA that was kegged, burst carbed, and counter pressured into bottles in 10 days. That had an OG of 1.058 and was fermented on a US-05 yeast cake. I would try for something in the 1.035-1.045 range, pitch a huge amount of healthy yeast, keep fermentation temps under control (this is key) and keg it 2 days prior to serving. Its not going to be clear, but it just might be good.

I'll second the choice of WLP007 if you try, it's the fastest yeast strain I know of. A local brewery here uses it as their house strain and they turn around a 1.114 RIS in 21 days grain to tap...

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bitter and WLP007 sound like what I'm looking for. I was at a homebrew meeting once where a guy had won a ribbon with a brown brewed on sunday for the upcoming saturday - maybe he used this yeast.

permo - any variations/thoughts for an extract recipe? I can mash, but I'm very time-challenged over the next few days. I'll do a few searches for this strain in recipes as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bitter and WLP007 sound like what I'm looking for. I was at a homebrew meeting once where a guy had one a ribbon with a brown brewed on sunday for the upcoming saturday - maybe he used this yeast.

permo - any variations/thoughts for an extract recipe? I can mash, but I'm very time-challenged over the next few days. I'll do a few searches for this strain in recipes as well.

Sub a pale extract for the base malt, steep some C120 and Special Roast and you are all set.

WLP007 works great in virtually any ale recipe (not kolsch though).

Sounds like a mission for the new White Labs WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast...
"Ferments wort super fast!"
"Similar to California Ale Yeast WLP001 but it generally ferments faster."

Latest posts

Back