will 2 liter bottles hold carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
if you bottle and natural carb in 2liter soda bottles.....will the beer stay carbonated for a few days after opening, even with more opening/closing? like soda does

FWIW, IMO it is similar to a growler, which aren't meant for storage, but for transportation of a larger volume for drinking. Once you open the bottle and release the carbonation the beer will begin to flatten. The headspace will continually increase as you pour allowing the beer to release more and more of the co2. When I open a 2 Liter of soda, I try to drink it as quickly as possible because they do go flat fast. I can tell a huge difference with soda in 1 day even if a small glass was poured.

You will probably be okay for a day or two, but beyond that I would think it would start to become really flat.

It will carbonate. We put stout in a pepsi bottle and call it a "start park special"

It will go flat and oxidize just like in a growler like said above.

David :)

Works fine for carbonating, but beer doesn't hold carbonation very well. Beer has less CO2 to lose than soda, so it goes flatter much faster. Chill the beer before opening and keep it cold, even if it is a style that is better at cellar temperatures.

Over at my BIL's right now, and he bottles and carbs in 2 liter bottles. It carbs great and will hald the carb pretty well if kept in the fridge. He said towards the last of it it will loose some carbonation, but not too bad. His trick is to screw the caps on real tight with a pair of channel locks and take the protective ring off (it will let you screw the cap on a little tighter).

Tried some of his wheat last night, it was nicely carbonated and had a very nice head on it.

If you have a keg setup, get a carbonator cap. You can give the bottle a little bump of CO2 when it starts to go flat.

images

I love my carbonator caps... Two liters are ok if you plan to kill it in one sitting but yes... will lose carbonation due to the increasing head-space. I usually use 1-liter's since I'm sure to drink that much.

In fact I just carbed up some 8mo dubbel in a 1 liter and it is in the freezer reaching equilibrium as I write.

My technique to get the foam to settle after shaking the crap out of it LOL...

You might want to consider a party pig.

Next time I make a run to the LBHS, I've been thinking about picking up a couple.

AAAAAkDcwxkAAAAAABqGMQ.jpg

Party Pig Overview!

They are a bit of a hassle to fill, but every time except once it was a pleasure to use. That ONE time, I brought one to a group get together, and for some reason, the beer barely came out. I think something was blocking the outlet, because the pressure pouch was inflated properly.
I still have mine, but it sorta lost its luster after it let me down like that.

Back