Anyone use a drip tray with stainless back splash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look at using adehsive first before drilling if you are not a compitant engineer/diyer.

If drilling then any good hardened steel drill bit will do it. Use a variable speed drill, use a centre punch and a little machine oil. I drill stainless slowly to stop over heating. Also cover with masking tape to stop scratches.

Or take it to a machine shop.

thanks for the reply, orfy, uh, i mean scrooge! i'm not talking about drilling to mount the tray/backsplash, but drilling holes for the shanks to fit through. did you take a look at the picture? i guess the question i should be asking is, because i'll have 6 taps in my keezer (i hate that word, we need to come up with something better), and all i really want is a drip tray, can anyone suggest a drip tray long enough to fit 6 taps? the model im considering in the picture is 18" long. i haven't found anything as long or longer that's designed to attach to a wall/fridge door.

rabidgerbil said:
Harbor Freight baby...

If you have a Harbor Freight in your town, they're awesome. Some good roaming time in Harbor Frieight. In fact, that's where I got 3 various sizes of of step drill bits for 9 bucks.

thanks for the tips, guys. i googled and found some pictures. i've seen these before. so a little help with how to use it? looks like each step is a specific size, and you just drill slowly until you get the hole you need? thinking about doing this with a hand drill makes my hands shake! should i use the same bit for going through the fridge door? thanks again!

alot of machine shops will have a hydraulic punch machine. For afew bucks they'll punch perfect 7/8 holes whereever you want'em

Stainless is a ***** to drill through!

I used almost exactly the same drip tray with back-splash as you and drilled 4 holes through it:

Beer9.jpg

The stained chunk of wood that the shanks go through is used to move the taps away from the chalkboard a bit so that it's easier to grip the handles, but also serves to hide imperfections from drilling hand-held. :)

As others mentioned, I used a step drill bit to drill through the SS:
962154_lg.jpg

Just keep going down until you get the size you want. Take a break if things start to get too hot. Anything else is going to cause you lots of headaches. If you use a drill press too, even better! (Wish I had one)

Kal

Kal can you tell me what the distance is between the top of the backsplash and the top of your black washer on there?? Thanks. Oh and what do you guys think about using a hole saw on this?

It's just slightly over 3/4". Why do you ask? It's not really an important measurement.

Kal

I don't think that a hole saw will hold up to drilling a few hole in stainless steel. What ever you use, you should have some sort of oil or cutting fluid to keep the bit cool.

FYI: The absolute best and cleanest way to make any holes is with a knockout punch:

KnockoutPunch.jpg

I ended up ordering a few off ebay for punching holes in my Blichmann pots. They go for cheap if you look around.

Kal

Just wanted to give a quick update for anyone encountering a similar problem. I started with a step bit and accomplished nothing but messing up the back splash and ruining a $50 bit. i was lucky enough to find a guy with a machine shop who drilled the holes for about $10. i brought him a mixed 12 pack a couple weeks later, tried the beer, and offered my $10 back!!

if i had to do this again on my own, and couldn't find a machine shop willing to waste their own time, i'd probably try the knockout punch first before trying a step bit in a hand drill!

Back