Whats The Best Time To Move To Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelob

Reaction score
My recipe kit directions say to move to secondary 5 to 7 days. Its 7 now and im still blowing bubble out the air lock suold I move it? and if i do should I leave whatever is on the bottom there? Its a honey amber ale if that matters. JUst want to make good beer. thanks

Just asked this awhile back and really there are 2 answers. Either measure hyrdometer reading and once it's 3/4 of the way done fermenting rack to secondry, or wait till it's finished and then rack. I say give it 2 weeks then rack

I take gravity readings once a week. When I get the same reading two weeks in a row, I transfer it to secondary for one week and then bottle it. During the secondary, I drop the temperature to help the yeast to settle out.

Let the yeast clean up after themselves for a while. Even after the gravity stops moving they can still do some work cleaning up the byproducts put off in primary. Personally for most normal strength and fairly simple brews I go 2-3 primary and 2 secondary. Heavy or complex ones get more time in both to blend and mellow.

Back