This ever happen to you and does it have a name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
This seems to happen to me often.

I'll hear or read some obscure bit of information somewhere in the news, a forum, etc... Within the next day or so I hear about it again, and then sometimes a third or fourth time.

Example:

A few days ago I was watching Modern Marvels and the program was on hot peppers. They talked about the hottest pepper in the world, the Bhut Jolokia pepper from India.

The next day I was reading the news and saw a news link about how the Indian Army developed a grenade that showers people with hot pepper dust. Without even opening the link I knew they were talking about the same pepper.

This happens often. I think it's strange, but I learn a lot that way.

Everytime I hear about a crazy hideous crime, it seems to be a "Law and Order" episode three weeks later.

Perhaps just a heightened sensitivity to that subject after hearing about it?

It's like after you buy a used car and then suddenly you notice that same make of car ALL OVER THE PLACE, where you never noticed it before.

So who's going to be the first on HBT to use that pepper in a beer?

or if your fighting with your SWMBO and every song you hear seems to be agreeing with her. That's why I switched to classic rock, those songs seem to take my side of the story.

More common for me is to learn about something obscure, then I somehow shoehorn it into every conversation I have for the next week.

"Check out that woman over there; DAMN, she's hot."
"She's hot, but not as hot as this chili pepper I was reading about."

Of course, the internet works this way, too. I can't see something pop up here that won't be on other forums later...it spreads like the plague.

As an example: One person could be talking about peppers and then the next person will be talking about pepper spray and then all the sudden the writers think that pepper grenades is newsworthy. Sometimes I think it's more connected than we realize.

I have no idea what this thread is about, and I don't care to read it. I just saw this image in a closed thread and I'm putting it here for safekeeping......I just don't want to lose it!

images

I have no idea what this thread is about, and I don't care to read it. I just saw this image in a closed thread and I'm putting it here for safekeeping......I just don't want to lose it!

images

Funny, I was just thinking about ass a little bit ago, and here it is in a totally different place. I told you there was something to this. :D

Does anyone have flash forwards? It's kind of like deja vu but instead of just feeling like you had the experience before you do a real fast flash forward of what's to come.

What I see in the flash forward never really happens though, not psychic, must just be a brain trick.

Does anyone have flash forwards? It's kind of like deja vu but instead of just feeling like you had the experience before you do a real fast flash forward of what's to come.

What I see in the flash forward never really happens though, not psychic, must just be a brain trick.

Like in a paradoxal type universe where what you see COULD have happened if one crazy small detail was different???

No. That doesnt happen to me

We just don't drink enough. ;)

...and Yes, it used to happen to me and my buddies all the time. We'd be talking about some random thing, and then it was all over the place within a short period of time. Weird.

You should watch the movie, Pi.

Like in a paradoxal type universe where what you see COULD have happened if one crazy small detail was different???

No. That doesnt happen to me

It's hard to explain but almost always the "vision" has an ominous aspect to it. Nothing ever comes true and it's not always clear. Brain glitching.

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just found it. So I thought I'd tell you about something that happened to me a couple of years ago.

One day, I heard that Charleton Heston had died. That night we watched the movie I am Legend with my brother & his wife. As we are watching it, I realized it was a remake of The Omega Man, a movie my brother & I had seen years ago, which starred Charleton Heston. I remark on the coincidence.

The next day, my brother & I were riding in my truck and I see on the XM Radio (trial version; I'm way to cheap to pay for radio) that we are listening to the soundtrack from The Omega Man. Now, that just seemed weird. In retrospect, I suppose that Charleton Heston's death being mentioned so recently in the news may have had something to do with this. After all, I could see a dj saying, "Wow, Heston died. I remember him in The Omega Man. Don't we have that soundtrack around here? Let's play it." But, at the time, my brother & I marveled at the coincidence.

Then, after coming home from the visit with my brother, the wife & I pop in a Netflix DVD to watch: Bowling for Columbine, which, unbeknownst to us, included an interview with, you guessed it, Charleton Heston.

No, I don't know of a term for this phenomenon, but it seemed related to the experience the OP described...

Here's a video of a dude eating the above-mentioned pepper.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "seeing the same car just after you buy one" thing has a name. Just Google "reticular activator".

Kind of like hearing the Intel "bum-bum-bum-BUM" makes you think of Intel.

Latest posts

Back