Ferm Chamber Build under $10 (AKA Glory Holes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got jealous looking at all the amazing ferm chambers and figure I would set out to build one for myself. Luckily, total construction costs were under $10 (bill of materials at bottom of post).

I think the pictures speak for themselves...

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

beer4.jpg

Alright, so it was kind of a joke, but it works. If you notice in the last picture, you can see the floor register (A/C vent) in between the carboys. I've got a 5-ton unit pumping out 50-55 deg air. I just trap it under the box against the carboys. We keep our thermostat at 78 and the carboys stay around 70-72. I now have a fridge in the basement with a temp controller. Huge diff - got a "Last-Minute Marzen" going right now with Wyeast 1007 @ 58 deg.

Almost forgot...

B.O.M.
Cardboard Box $0.00
Utility knife to cut holes $9.79

You spent $10 on that?!? ;)

Edit: That is not to say that I don't like it, mind you, just that $10 is a lot to pay for a homeless person's home.

I've thought about doing something similar in my basement. All of the ventwork is down there and I thught about diverting some AC flow to a chamber. In the end I just bought a couple wine fridges.

Great thought process... don't let anyone curb your enthusiasm! before you know it, you'll be creating great equipment with full control. Keep at it!

I wouldn't leave any fermenter on hardwood floors... even if it doesn't overflow, it can sweat.

The last place I rented was left with all kinds of circle marks, like someone had flower pots that leaked out the bottom. :D

Thankfully I learned that leason, before I bought my own place!

Back