High Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlavon

Reaction score
I finally brewed today and thought I followed everything pretty close except forgetting to take the SG reading. I had already pitched the yeast about ten seconds earlier, so I grabbed some wort quickly and then slapped the lid back on. It's always one last thing that I forget to do.

Anyway, the reading was at 1.062, with correction to 1.0716! Yikes! The suggested SG in the Palililia IPA recipe was 1.048-1.052. Jes a little bit off...as Bob Uecker would say.

Why the high SG and what does that mean for the beer which is now fermenting?

Thanks!

I'd call that close enough. With extract, the gravity is determined by the extract, specialty grains, and water that you put in - so it's fixed by the recipe and can't be off unless you mis-measured or left something out. I quit taking OG samples a few years ago.

Your reading is right if you followed the recipe. The recipe is incorrect.

7 lbs of DME will get you 1.063 in 5 gallons, and you will probably get 2 or 3 points from the crystal, and none from the toasted malt.

You are good, if anything, a little low. Heavier wort sinks, so taking a sample from the top would be in the direction of getting a lower gravity reading.

Like ncb, I quit taking OG readings years ago when I realized I could calculate them with more reliability. I mostly mash these days, but still only take readings pre-boil to see how good my efficiency is. I then calculate my FG and factor in any sugar or extract additions I make.

Latest posts

Back