Did I underpitch my Tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm still fairly new at this, and brewed a Tripel last weekend that I'd like to be ready for the end of January.

It had an OG of 1.080, and I pitched with one pack of Wyeast Trappist High Gravity.

Now, after looking on-line, I've seen some suggestion--including on Wyeast's site--that I should have pitched more than one pack.

I gave the yeast a good lead time and had vigorous fermentation airlock within 5 hours. What do you think?

Five hours is a decent lag time. Trappist High Gravity is a fairly voracious - and almost disturbingly active - yeast. When I used it professionally, fermenter cleaning was, dare I say, labor-intensive. :D

I think you'll be fine. At the very least, underpitching leads to elevated ester formation. That's not really a problem with Tripel, IMO.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks again, Bob. You're everywhere. Well, I won't have to be worrying about cleaning out the fermenter for a while yet...I'm thinking about leaving it in the primary for a month. What do you think?

As Bob mentions, no worries really from the aspect of what the yeast will do. As for lag times, I have had some really long time lags between pitching and onset of fermentation. 5 days to be exact once with the WLP380. But the beer (DunkelWeizen) turned out fabby. My point being is that it isn't always certain if you have a short or long lag that the beer will be bad or good.

That Mr. Malty link is great. I'm of course happy to pitch more when required, but I'm not buying more than one pack! This will help me make starters.

That Mr. Malty link is great. I'm of course happy to pitch more when required, but I'm not buying more than one pack! This will help me make starters.

I think both Wyeast and White Labs recommend anything over like 1.065 to use a starter. I have always had good results following this advice for brews under 1.065 by just pitching the vial or pack. Some folks always make a starter, but I have never made a starter (I have either pitched higher gravity wort onto an established cake or used Nottingham for high gravity worts that aren't Belgianesque) and always been happy with the brew. It may not have developed as I expected (like my 5 day lag :D) but the results were fine.

Thanks again, Bob. You're everywhere.

The joys of working from home, and having time to switch between windows. ;)

Well, I won't have to be worrying about cleaning out the fermenter for a while yet...I'm thinking about leaving it in the primary for a month. What do you think?

Hell, a month ain't gonna hurt nuthin'. After that, I'd get it into secondary to clear and age a bit.

Bob

All right, just one more time to ease my mind...this beer will be a centerpiece of my birthday feast at the end of January, my first as a homebrewer...I want it to be really, really good. Should I pitch additionally (or is it too late by this point) or...stop worrying?

Back