The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no solution.

Unfortunately this is 99.99999999% more than likely the case. The title of the show suggests the characters themselves are the walking dead, not the zombies. So any discussion of a final solution would probably involve mass immolation by nuclear weapons.

Not that I wouldn't want to see them commandeering a couple dozen of those mine clearing flail machines, you know with the spinning chains that goes at like 6,000 rpm and is supposed to be used to dig up and explode mines. Driving one of those into a massed horde of zombies would make for fantastic television.

They haven't made it to DC yet... They're uh, sidetracked?

They passed by DC on the way to Alexandria, strong implication is they're not going to go there anytime soon if ever. I do think that you could setup some pretty awesome bases/compounds in certain DC neighborhoods, but that's not something the show is going to explore it seems.

Aside from that, the idea is that there is no solution. As CDC suicide man said in season 1, there's nobody left working on a cure anymore, they're all dead or scattered. Everyone is infected and our modern day (their past) is gone for good. The show and comic books are pretty clear that all that is left to do is move on and try to keep some sort of functioning civilization going.

They passed by DC on the way to Alexandria, strong implication is they're not going to go there anytime soon if ever. I do think that you could setup some pretty awesome bases/compounds in certain DC neighborhoods, but that's not something the show is going to explore it seems.

Aside from that, the idea is that there is no solution. As CDC suicide man said in season 1, there's nobody left working on a cure anymore, they're all dead or scattered. Everyone is infected and our modern day (their past) is gone for good. The show and comic books are pretty clear that all that is left to do is move on and try to keep some sort of functioning civilization going.

Speaking of season one, I always wondered why they never tried to swipe one of the tanks or deuce&1/2 that were just laying around all full of ammo and fuel. Just saying.

Speaking of season one, I always wondered why they never tried to swipe one of the tanks or deuce&1/2 that were just laying around all full of ammo and fuel. Just saying.

That's my one major problem with the show. A very very serious lack of Fist-Pump-Jump-Out-of-Your-Chair-and-Yell-F'YEAH! moments. The RPG in the face of a dozen ******-motorcycle-gangsters was one... uh, the first time Michonne annihilated a dozen zombies at once with her sword... um, theres really not that many more moments that make you jump up and down and cheer. Edit: Forgot, anytime Carol is on screen without anyone else around, she's always up to some shinanigans that will probably involve violently dismantling a couple dozen humans/zombies, but theres never enough Carol moments, never.

When I was watching the mid-season premier about half way through the episode I looked over at SWMBO and said, "This will be the only cool episode we get the rest of the show's run time".

Give us something, even if you have to copy Army of Darkness and put a helicopter blade on the front of a classic car and blender your way through a horde of zombies.

Out of fuel maybe? Plus tanks aren't as easy to drive as a car, it requires a lot of training to do it properly. Add in that tanks get absolute garbage mileage, so if you're going on a long trip a tank is useless unless you follow along with a few barrels of diesel fuel. Granted, it is TV so in TV logic maybe anyone can drive a tank, but then again a lot of the show's challenges would be a little too easy if the Rickites had a tank.

Thing I don't understand is they found the riot gear, why not just wear that all the damn time. I'm sure it'd be hot as hell but it's better than getting bit. Hell, even a light jacket with duct tape wrapped around the arms would do. Common sense people! I get angry (and happy in the pants) every time I see Rosita run out there with just a bra and sleeveless shirt on.

The Governor had a tank

He also, and perhaps more importantly, had a tank driver. Plus, it's not like they drove that tank everywhere, for the most part it sat in their little camp until the assault on the prison.

Thing I don't understand is they found the riot gear, why not just wear that all the damn time. I'm sure it'd be hot as hell but it's better than getting bit. Hell, even a light jacket with duct tape wrapped around the arms would do. Common sense people! I get angry (and happy in the pants) every time I see Rosita run out there with just a bra and sleeveless shirt on.

If I remember correctly, they lost the riot gear to the Termies and didn't have a chance to get it back. Arm guards of some sort would probably be smart, but a full suit or even a jacket would be really problematic, in Georgia and near the Virginia coast where they are supposedly at it gets brutally hot and muggy in the summer and stays pretty warm all year round. Occasionally the DC area will see some snow, but it's pretty rare even in winter. Aside from the "show logic" concerns of heat stroke, there's also the comfort and health of the actors, they're working in Georgia mostly in the spring and summer without AC in the boonies; that sweat is 100% real and asking them to run around in riot gear every episode is probably a bit much.

Out of fuel maybe? Plus tanks aren't as easy to drive as a car, it requires a lot of training to do it properly. Add in that tanks get absolute garbage mileage, so if you're going on a long trip a tank is useless unless you follow along with a few barrels of diesel fuel. Granted, it is TV so in TV logic maybe anyone can drive a tank, but then again a lot of the show's challenges would be a little too easy if the Rickites had a tank.

Tanks are actually very easy to drive but M-1s require jet fuel and a lot of it. Military vehicles like trucks and hummers run on diesel which doesn't go bad and is in every heating oil tank. Any truck is better than the crappy RVs and sedans they are using. The government might be gone but I gotta think there are military units still out there. Either hunkered down and pillaging.

Michonne is gonna get it in the finale. Glenn gets it in the Comics, but it's gonna be Michonne in the finale. All Ricks love interests die. She condemned herself. I dont want to see it happen bc she is badass, but thats what happens when you take interest in the D that is Rick Grimes...

Why go with a tank when you can get another p.o.s. 92 Dale Winnebago ?Dammit you're in the south.Get Carrie Underwood's or some other C and W singers show bus for god's sake.If they blow another radiator hose I'm done!:p

Why go with a tank when you can get another p.o.s. 92 Dale Winnebago ?Dammit you're in the south.Get Carrie Underwood's or some other C and W singers show bus for god's sake.If they blow another radiator hose I'm done!:p

You'd think they would yank every hose they came across and be ready.

There's been so much buildup from the comic book readers about "wait 'til Negan shows up..." and "Negan will make the Governor look like a boy scout" that I'd laugh my butt off if the writers took a 90° turn on the plot and had Rick's group kill him off on the 1st episode.

Of course, that won't happen, but it would be interesting to see a complete break from the comics.

A few observations from the episode tonight:

-This is way too easy, I suspect that this wasn't really Negan's group, but rather some sort of intermediary group. Maybe a group he forced to do his bidding? They had Daryl's bike so maybe this is the same group that Daryl dealt with earlier.

-According to the preview, it was women that took Carol and Maggie hostage, given that all we saw in this compound they attacked were men, perhaps these were the women of the compound. Perhaps they lived in a separate part of the compound and that's why they were alerted by the attack. I think one of the women (based on the preview) may be the girl that pointed the gun at Daryl from the motorcycle, that would reinforce my point that this isn't Negan's main group.

-I thought Glenn had at least dropped one or two people during the assaults on the prison, but I guess not. Heath and Glenn killed their first regular old humans this episode, so mazel tov to them. Is Heath the new Glenn? Given that Heath is always going on runs and all.

-Go on wit your bad self Gabriel!

-If you're curious, the end song of the episode is by Hozier whom you might remember from his song "Take Me To Church", this one is called "Arsonist's Lullaby" found here:

-Could Carol get the bat? *SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE COMICS* In the comics, Glenn gets a face to face meeting with Negan's barbed wire bat Lucille, but a lot of this episode focused on Carol, could she be the bat's victim? Certainly she seems to be having a certain moralistic reawakening and that's usually the point at which the series kills someone off so their death has meaning, if they're a major character. At this point in the comics Carol is long dead, so her storyline is somewhat up in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the buildup, I'd put solid odds on Carol or Abraham getting knocked off in the near future. Or, if they wanted to go for maximum shock value a la GoT, Maggie might get it. That would have some dramatic implications for Glenn's character moving forward.

And what was Morgan working on at the end of the episode?

Completely unfounded rumor mill stuff. Apparently Norman Reedus may be getting his own tv show, so another potential would be Daryl getting the axe.

Completely unfounded rumor mill stuff. Apparently Norman Reedus may be getting his own tv show, so another potential would be Daryl getting the axe.

I've heard that too, but the flip side was that filming was (supposedly) already finished for the 1st few episodes, so they could make both work for the time being.

I know people say that Daryl will never get killed because they'd lose too many viewers. To reference GoT (again), they have no qualms about getting rid of popular characters, and their ratings aren't suffering.

Based on the buildup, I'd put solid odds on Carol or Abraham getting knocked off in the near future. Or, if they wanted to go for maximum shock value a la GoT, Maggie might get it. That would have some dramatic implications for Glenn's character moving forward.

And what was Morgan working on at the end of the episode?

I thought morgan was building a jail. It looked like a metal door frame and cinder locks in the background. Looked to me like he was welding the door.

I can't remember how Daryl lost his bike?

Same day that they found the oil truck and blew up negans guys. He saw someone taking off with it in the woods. Which again links him back to negan. Not looking good for Daryl.

Killing people for food. Our group of heroes has become just as bad as everyone else.

Seems to be the theme of the season: Has Rick become Shane? Has Alexandria become Woodbury? Do the ends justify the means?

Obviously we want to see Rick's group as having good intentions to look out for their own, but no doubt all those other groups were trying to do the same.

Killing people for food. Our group of heroes has become just as bad as everyone else.

Well, for the long term safety of the relatively good people of Alexandria, they also need Negan's people dead as Negan's group are heartless bullies that would certainly take over pretty soon anyway. It's inevitable and Rick recognized this right away, didn't him & haw, just spoke as the necessary voice of reason. Rick might not have much of a conscience of his own anymore with respect to making decisions by himself, he might do some pretty crazy stuff when left to his own devices, but surrounded by others and feeling responsible for them he does still have their support to help keep him straight when he needs straightening, and for the most part he still listens to them and values their opinions, such as calling for democratic votes for significant stuff. Rick also serves as the devil's advocate for them, challenging their wussiness when appropriate to ensure the right stuff gets done for the welfare of all, even when it causes discomfort. Without him they'd all be scattered and gone already, except maybe for Michonne, Daryl, Carol.

I think Glenn might be a goner soon. He's got too big a heart. The world can't handle his heart any longer. If he becomes darker very soon, very quickly, he might be alright. Otherwise, he's gone.

I think Morgan is going to change soon. Something big will happen that turns him back to the dark side, and it could get very ugly.

I've never read the comics, but I think Rick might be the only one who makes it in the very end (Season 10 or whatever). He might die alone of old age, then become one, and the human race is over or whatever. Either that or it turns out like The Postman where 70 years pass and Judith makes a statue of him and they revere him like a god. It's one or the other.

Well, the comics are still ongoing so we don't really know how things truly "end" for the Walking Dead storyline.

Back