DIY Digital Taplist no Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdenatale

Reaction score
Hello All, I have created a very simple way for windows (or any platform) users to create a digital tap list to display on a tablet (**or anything with an internet browser connected to your wifi network). Without a raspberry pi or nay additional purchases outside from owning a home computer, laptop or server. By no means am i saying this is a superior way of doing it, just seems to be an easier way for the not-so savvy tech people.

I consider home brewing to be a hobby where you produce the maximum potential brew with the least amount of money invested in.

So what i did is create a presentation in google drive:
- From google drive once designed and created my presentation I "published" the presentation and selected embed code.
- Copy and pasted the embed code into notepad and saved the document to my desktop named taplist.html

- I downloaded and installed WAMP server, what this does is install apache, sql, php in a complete package on your computer with an easy user interface.
- I selected what drive i want it to be installed in (ex M:Wamp)
- Once installed I copy and pasted the taplist.html in this directory M:Wamp\www\taplist.html.

From there make sure you have WAMP is running in the mini tray, and in a internet address bar go to: localhost\taplist.html

This should pull up the slideshow in your browser now expand to full screen and you have your digital tap list. Since its a published document any changes you do the to presentation in google drive changes on your tablet.

Sample how it looks

Now if I want to bring this to the WWW. its fairly simple by configuring wamp server past the basic set-up. (check you tube)

For editing colors in SRM for the proper color code for tables check this out.

If anyone needs any clarification on anything let me know. I can also email the template to upload in to google drive if need be just PM me.

Ya you are right, I am fortunate enough to have a few old laptops. I use Ubuntu and a standard web browser.

Ya you are right, I am fortunate enough to have a few old laptops. I use Ubuntu and a standard web browser.

It's cool that you developed your own, but even for the Raspberry Pints one, a Pi is not required. I installed RPints onto an Ubuntu VM. I do have a Pi, but it is only a browser to remotely display my Rpints from the Ubuntu machine.

I totally dig that route also, but for simplicity I posted basic instruction for kind of a plug and play for a very basic computer user. I figured placing a file in a folder that they designate is easier than configuring a VM and installing Ubuntu and then setting up RaspPints. Just a lot of moving parts. Thank you for the input.

I'm all for keeping it simple. If all you're doing is publishing an html file, I wouldn't install WAMP. That's a ton of overhead on your computer for displaying a simple web page. You could use the built in IIS server in Windows or even just open the html file directly in your browser.

Latest posts

Back