My first recipe attempt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
So I wanted to make up my own recipe to use a packet of Nottingham's yeast I have laying around and this is what I came up with (extract recipe)

7 lbs. Extra light DME
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Briess caramel 20 L
1 oz. simcoe hops
1/2 oz. simcoe hops
1 oz. cascade hops

does this look like something you would want to try? Are there any adjustments that would result in something better or really need to be made? Too much grain? Is this closest to an American pale ale?

So I wanted to make up my own recipe to use a packet of Nottingham's yeast I have laying around and this is what I came up with (extract recipe)

7 lbs. Extra light DME
1 lb. Carapils
1 lb. Briess caramel 20 L
1 oz. simcoe hops
1/2 oz. simcoe hops
1 oz. cascade hops

does this look like something you would want to try? Are there any adjustments that would result in something better or really need to be made? Too much grain? Is this closest to an American pale ale?

When would you be making your hop additions?

I probably wouldn't use two pounds of crystal malt. In my opinion, using a whole pound of crystal is plenty. I'd skip the carapils, since you're already using crystal 20L.

Depending on when the hops additions are, you'd have a nice pale ale. I like flavor hops at 15 minutes or so, and then some aroma hops at 5 minutes, and at 1 minute or flame out.

Thanks for the advice. The hops would be 1 oz. simcoe for 45 minutes, another 1/2 oz for 15 minutes and then the cascade for the last minute or so. As for the grains I wanted to use both because I have heard of the boost in head retention that the carapils gives you could I just use a half pound of each? Or is the head retention thing overrated on that grain?

Back