Aeration techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
My main method of aerating my wort has been to fill up the primary (glass carboy), cap it with a closed rubber stoper, and roll it around on the floor for 5 minutes or so. This produces a great deal of foam on top of the wort.

But I'm starting to wonder if I'm even aerating it at all with this technique. If the carboy is sealed, how would air even be getting into it? Is this an incorrect method? I don't have any pumps or anything like that. Thanks,

Not really, air is only made up of about 14% oxygen anyways, so whatever is in the carboy is all your gonna get if it is sealed up. An aeration stone and a cheapo pump + filter from wally world would do wonders for you.

I use and aquarium pump as well. About 15-20 minutes is what works for me. I used to poor my wort from carboy to buck and back once or twice before I got the pump. I've seen a major improvement in attenuation since using the pump.

The method I used yesterday was one I think I picked up from here - a venturi aeration stick" - lots of big words to say a piece of racking cane with a single hole put in its side placed at the end of the racking tube. Lots of foam in the carboy (I primary in glass) after racking from the kettle... As the liquid flows past the hole air is sucked in and mixed...

Shaking the carboy is just fine for aeration of most beers. You only get oxygen that is in the headspace into the wort, but you are only looking for 15 ppm (parts per million), an aeration pump and shaking both can only get you to 8 ppm (whicn is Ok for a normal gravity beer) to get any better you need to get an oxygen stone and oxygen bottle. I really wouldn't worry about it though.

Back