Five Star 5.2 stabilizer usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
I'm confused (slightly) by the instructions as to the best way to use this. It wants 1 TBS per 5 gallons, added to the mash tun.

So can I add this to my mash/sparge water in the heating vessel? Say I'm heating 10 gallons of water total for the mash and sparge...can i just add 2 tbs of the 5.2 to that water in the kettle? Or am I suppose to add it directly to the mash tun...say I'm adding 4 gallons of water for the mash...should I just add 4/5 tbs to the mash? What about sparging then. Is it necessary to also treat the sparge water?

Sorry if I'm a moron. The instructions seem open to interpretation.

I'd add it to the mash water prior to dough-in to make sure it's all dissolved and evenly distributed throughout the mash. I've also heard of people using it in their sparge water with good results. I've never used it myself though, so this is just secondhand and off-the-cuff.

i just add it to the hot water right before adding the grain, being sure to stir it in well. i also add it to the sparge water right before sparging. i've noticed a big difference in my brews since using it. the tannic "kick" i'd been getting is gone and the result is a much smoother beer. im very happy with it!

Cool. So it sounds like the easy thing to do is just add 2 TBS to the 10 gal of water in the hot water kettle, then use that to mash and sparge. Sounds like a plan.

I add mine to the mash. I think the intent was for the full quantity to act during the mash. Sending a quick email to five star would eliminate al doubt. They're good at responding from what I hear.

When I use it, I add it to the grains.

I put all my grains, plus the 5.2 in a paper grocery bag and then stick my hand in and give it a big stir to mix everything well.

Then when my mash water is at temp, I pour the grains into the water.
Of course stirring that all well.
Seems to work just fine.

I add it to the grains as well.

Also, I recently heard that the extraction of tannins isn't a problem until you are over pH 5.8 & over 170F. If your mash is at 5,2, then it will be hard to have your sparge go above 5.8, because the grain bed has the buffering capacity to keep it under control, until you have run off almost every last bit of sugar, at which point further sparging is only decreasing you effeciency anyway. For this reason, it only needs to be added to the mash.

Back