Stuck Brett C fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
Help

Two weeks ago I started an all brett C rye saison:

67% Pilsner
25% Rye malt
8% sugar

My efficiency was thru the roof and I got a higher OG than expected.

OG 1.062

I made a 1.5L starter of Whitelab Brett C
Stirplate, 2 weeks, room temp

Pitched it, got blow off within 2 days
Fermenting in temp controlled fridge at 70deg F

After 1 week, sg = 1.052
Raised temp to 72deg F

Today (2 weeks) there is a pellicle and sg = 1.050

Is the ferm stuck?
Should I raise the temp more?

I was hoping to ferment this at a lower temp to try to control some of the funkiness. Any thoughts??

No, I grew up a 1.5L starter from a vial
Grew at room temperature on a stir plate for abt 2 weeks.
It fermented well and had a nice pedicle before I pitched it.

Huh, mine stalled, but in the teens and it finished at 1.008. It was 70-72 the whole time. I've got no idea what's going on with yours. Good luck.

you'd need to mash crazy high for a result like that, but just to rule it out, what was mash temp?

The mash temp was 150 degF. Should have been plenty fermentable.

I did a 1.5L starter left for 2 weeks. It developed a pedicle so maybe I left it too long???
You would think though that with new fermentables to eat when I pitched it, it would go thru a growth phase?

Anyways, I wrote Michael Tonsmeire ( the mad fermentationist) and he said that he had fermented his all Brett C beer at 80 deg F.

So I bumped up the temp of the fermentation fridge to 80 deg. I gently swirled the bucket to re-suspend the yeast and after 2 days, still nothing. Wort was still at 1.050 and still sweet.

Anyways, I'll chock it up to a bad batch of Brett C since Im not getting any feedback that others have had the same problem.

I plan to do a 1.5L starter of Wyeast 3711 French Saison and pitch it at high kreusen. Will report back on what happens.

Anyways, I wrote Michael Tonsmeire ( the mad fermentationist) and he said that he had fermented his all Brett C beer at 80 deg F.

So I bumped up the temp of the fermentation fridge to 80 deg. I gently swirled the bucket to re-suspend the yeast and after 2 days, still nothing. Wort was still at 1.050 and still sweet.

Anyways, I'll chock it up to a bad batch of Brett C since Im not getting any feedback that others have had the same problem.

I plan to do a 1.5L starter of Wyeast 3711 French Saison and pitch it at high kreusen. Will report back on what happens.

Curious what happened as I have a stuck brett beer right now...

Cheers!

Brewbien said:
Curious what happened as I have a stuck brett beer right now...

Cheers!

I fermented it with the French Saison and it finished out. It was ok, but not what I wanted.

I have since started using Brett B Trois. Making big starters at abt 1.5L and fermenting at room temperature ( 72 deg F). No problems since

I think I had a bad batch of C and was severely under pitching when I thought I had grown up an adequate starter. Once it was stuck anything I did to rouse the Brett C failed. That's why I tried to salvage the batch with the saison yeast.

Latest posts

Back