West Indian Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
I brewed this today, and expect it to be amazing so I haven't actually sampled it yet. It was a beautiful day, warm and breezy and I didnt have to work so I felt like I was on vacation, hence the name. I'm also looking for a little fruit to come through in the flavors to keep it tropical. Should be pretty sessionable for an IPA.

11lb 2-row
1lb rye
1lb Crystal 80L
1/2lb Carapils
1oz Nelson Sauvin 90mins
1oz Willamette 15 mins
1oz Willamette 1min
0.25oz Nelson Sauvin dry hop
0.25oz Willamette dry hop
Yeast nutrient and Whirlfloc at 15mins

Mash @152F, 1.5qt/lb thickness.
My mash efficiency was about 79% with one batch sparge, so I had an OG of 1.055. Hoping to ferment out a few points lower than calculated 1.019 as well.

Primary 3weeks
Secondary for dry hopping 2-3weeks, per desired hop aroma intensity
Bottle to style, 2.2-2.7vols CO2. I like light DME to prime.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think! I'll do the same! :mug:

About to update this, and I realized that I stated my efficiency was 79%. Not quite lol, more like 57%

Picture and review to come at some point soon. I will tell you it is getting brewed again. Amazing aroma and flavor.

Damn! Sorry I never reviewed it, I meant to. This was really tasty. It wasn't a hop bomb, with a bit of malt balance, and the hops came through in a really tropical way. I loved it and a few non-craft types were really impressed and drank a bunch. I think if I were to do it again I'd reduce the caramel 80 down just a tad. With the carapils its about 11% crystal type, putting it on the higher end of what I like but not terrible. I liked the deeper reddish brown color and the flavor c80 added, so I think I'd stick to that area on the lovibond scale, but drop a couple ounces out. Let me know if you brew it! I'd love to hear how yours comes out

Back