Is it too late to plant my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I injured my foot a few weeks ago right before I was getting ready to plant my rhizomes. Needless to say, I didn't want to be climbing a ladder to string up twine in that condition. I'm finally starting to heal up pretty good and was going to plant them this weekend.

The rhizomes have been sitting in the box they were shipped in for about 2 and a half weeks. Should they still be okay to plant?

Better sooner than later.

If there is enough time for them to get some growth and root development, it will help them produce more next year.

Plant them!

Also, the twine does not need to be up (necessarilly) until the hops are a foot tall or so.

If nothing else, plant them, and get the trellis set later.

Hopefully the rhizomes are not moldy or dried up from sitting in the box. I'd get them in the ground or at least a pot of dirt and deal with the twine later, it could be weeks before twine is needed.

I planted mine exactly one year ago today; as I look out my window 1/3 of the 16 plants are 5'+ right now, and all growing quite well.

In other words, go for it!

:mug:

Mine is close to a foot but only sprouted 2 bines. Hopefully I get something this year. They are 3rd year and something happens to them each year to keep from growing cones

Mine is close to a foot but only sprouted 2 bines. Hopefully I get something this year. They are 3rd year and something happens to them each year to keep from growing cones

That 's not any good!

My 3rd year put out 70 or so bines from 1 cascade. It is 7-8 ft tall.

My 2nd year batch all have put out at least 8 bines and some are 6ft tall.

Hopefully the rhizomes are not moldy or dried up from sitting in the box. I'd get them in the ground or at least a pot of dirt and deal with the twine later, it could be weeks before twine is needed.

+ 1 the important thing is to get them into the ground. The first year is about root development. If you see some hops, that is a bonus. You won't need the twine for a while.

Part of the problem is that I need to clear out some old shrubs and other plants from the area where I was going to plant them, but maybe putting them in pots for the time being would be a good idea.

Stupid broken foot.

Yep, even if you just throw them in 5 gallon buckets it is better than nothing and you can establish a decent root ball to transplant next year. Just have to really watch them to keep them watered enough in pots as wind and sun dry it out a lot more quickly than something planted in the ground.

From what I've heard, so long as you keep your rhizomes in a fridge and a wrapped in a moist paper towel, they can be kept above soil for quite some time without causing any problems.

I think I read something about that on here before. Either way, you can just plant them in a large pot. That's what I'm doing. They wont be growing very rapidly for a while, and even when they do, apparently the first year is not very necessary to be using twines.

Latest posts

Back