starter size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
Im make a Chimay Blue extract clone this weekend and would like to make a starter for it but never made one before.
Im using White Labs WLP500 yeast for a 5 gallon batch.
I looked on White Labs website and it says to use this for a starter

"add 2 pints of water and 1/2 cup Dried Malt Extract (DME). Mix well and boil the solution for about 10 minutes to sterilize. Cover and cool the pan to room temperature in an ice bath. This will give you a wort of approximately 1.040 OG. Keeping the Original Gravity low is important because you want to keep the yeast in its growth phase, rather than its fermentation phase. The fermentation phase will create alcohol which can be toxic to yeast in high concentrations."

Does this sound right or does it need to be bigger, smaller?

Thanks!!

Use 100g DME to 1L water. That will keep the starter in the range that's recommended. Increasing the starter size, with that ratio, is stupid simple.

Use either Mr. Malty, or yeastcalc sites to figure out the size of starter to make.

On the kit from AHB it doesn't tell you how or what size to starter to use. I found that info on White labs website. I am just wondering if I need to go bigger or smaller because everything i have been researching varies.
So far that is what I will be making

Thanks

Thanks Golddiggie!!
Don't have a scale.
How much in cups would that be?

Thanks

Hate to be THAT guy, but go buy a scale. I just bought one for $5 at my local supermarket. It's worth it.

Every item has a different weight/volume ratio, so all DME isn't created equal in the sense of 1 cup = x grams. Stuff clumps.

Thanks Golddiggie!!
Don't have a scale.
How much in cups would that be?

Get a scale.
Trying to convert dry weight to volume is imprecise at best. At worst, you can be way off. I have good scales, covering the entire range of measure I need. I picked up a good scale many years ago that goes up to 11 pounds, which is fine for some things. I have one that goes to 11 ounces, which is very accurate, that I use for hops and other low amounts. I also have a scale that goes to 55 pounds that I use to weigh my grains on brew day (right before crushing them).

for volume, go with 1/2 cup DME or 2/3 cup LME per liter.

I agree with golddiggie though, i can't imagine brewing w/out my scale.

Thanks for all the tips. I bought a scale. Made a 1.5 quart starter. I used 1.5 qt water and 150g of DME. Hope it turns out good.

Latest posts

Back