Professional

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIP

Reaction score
I have been working for a coffee roaster for almost 6 years. Yesterday I FINALLY interviewed for a job as a Professional Coffee Roaster and I think I nailed it. I got an email last night from our HR hottie (a friend as well) that said she was hearing good things. As of now, I have a 50% chance and I should know for sure today. Wish me luck.:ban::mug:

Sweet! As soon as I'm settled in one place and have a little disposable income, I'm looking at doing some home roasting.

I have heard good things about the popcorn popper method. It isn't ideal, but people get good results.

I got the job, I start monday. This is an AMAZING opprotunity.

Thank you. I am hoping this helps me in my quest to explore all of the aspects of the speacialty beverage industry.

I've been roasting with a popcorn popper for a couple of month, Sweet Marias is the way to go for green coffee beans. I would like to get a more fancy pants coffee roaster at some point. But, for now I just have to babysit though the first and second crack.

What does a pro coffee roaster do? I mean, I can what they do just by the title, but are you like roasting for folgers or starbucks, or something to that effect?

I roast speacialty coffees. Speacialty coffees are the best types out there.

I am roasting for the best place ever. Dillanos Coffee Roasters. Honestly, folgers is the bottom of the barrel stuff and Starbucks is overrated and overroasted.

www.dillanos.com

What does a pro coffee roaster do? I mean, I can what they do just by the title, but are you like roasting for folgers or starbucks, or something to that effect?

Folgers is the Bud of the coffee world. Starbucks is kind of like Samuel Adams. You can find it everywhere, its not bad when there is no other selection, but there are a ton of better products out there.

WIP got a job at the coffee world's equivalent of a craft brewery.

Folgers is the Bud of the coffee world. Starbucks is kind of like Samuel Adams. You can find it everywhere, its not bad when there is no other selection, but there are a ton of better products out there.

WIP got a job at the coffee world's equivalent of a craft brewery.

That is a great way to word it. Thanks.

Cool, how did it turn out? What did you roast?

It turned out good but not perfectly to my liking. I shut it off after second crack was pretty well underway and it was a little more roasted than I like. Next attempt I'm going to try stopping right as second crack begins.
Beans were Guatamalan Huehuetenango that I bought from William's Brewing.
When I'm done with them and the Colombian and Java Estate that I bought from them I'll give Sweet Maria's a try.

Do you know anything about Gevalia Stockholm Roast? We like that coffee a lot and would be delighted to duplicate it for 1/3 the price.

Honestly, folgers is the bottom of the barrel stuff and Starbucks is overrated and overroasted.

Does Folgers even hie coffee roasters. I have a friend that is a chemical engineer that roasts for them, but doesn't drink coffee.

Congrats on the new job.

Sweet.

WIP lives close by, likes Jeeps, beer, and now he is roasting coffee. If you were a chick.....

Seriously though, look forward to a thermos of roasted goodness on the trail.

It turned out good but not perfectly to my liking. I shut it off after second crack was pretty well underway and it was a little more roasted than I like. Next attempt I'm going to try stopping right as second crack begins.
Beans were Guatamalan Huehuetenango that I bought from William's Brewing.
When I'm done with them and the Colombian and Java Estate that I bought from them I'll give Sweet Maria's a try.

Do you know anything about Gevalia Stockholm Roast? We like that coffee a lot and would be delighted to duplicate it for 1/3 the price.

Guat is usually roasted a bit darker than others. I like it, just not as much as most others. Even when pulling out the floral flavors, I can't get past the "burnt tire" flavor. I have completely different taste from most of my coworkers though.

I haven't tried Gevalia Stockholm Roast, but there is a good review with details here... http://www.epinions.com/review/Gevalia_Stockholm_Roast_Coffee_epi/content_467469110916

Does Folgers even hie coffee roasters. I have a friend that is a chemical engineer that roasts for them, but doesn't drink coffee.

Congrats on the new job.

No, folgers uses a barrel roaster. It is a long tube with holes in it that spins and is at an angle. The fire is below it. The coffee is put in one end and the angle of the tube uses gravity to run it to the other end, (it is about 20 feet long) the coffee comes out the other end roasted (no science, no vision, no controll.)

As for their beans. They use the bottom of the barrel stuff. All the beans go through a machine that is at an angle. The machine vibrates at a certain velocity. The beans sort themselves and are "cut" at the end. The good beans are at one end and the bad ones are at another. There are about 5 grades that come out of it, folgers is the bad stuff. Also, the beans go off a ledge kinda like a waterfall of coffee beans. The machine watches the color of each raw bean and uses a shot of air to shoot out bad colored beans. Those bad color beans are folgers.

Sweet.

WIP lives close by, likes Jeeps, beer, and now he is roasting coffee. If you were a chick.....

Seriously though, look forward to a thermos of roasted goodness on the trail.

Add wine, guns, dogs, and hiking to the list. I will bring some good stuff out wheeling ;)

Congrats! I bought my wife her second roaster for Christmas... a Behmor. It took a half dozen roasts before she hot it right. Her first was a Fresh Roast which has worn out. I'm starting to take notes and learn the ways of the bean.

Back